Help with cartridge fuses please

Can someone help me with the size of the disconnect? Tried to research the color code with no success.

Thanks in advance.

Could be 70 to 100 amps It is usually marked on the Tin top as well as the lable ,
I could not blow it up to see if it was there .
It also could be on the back away from your picture .
Could you tell the size of the wire
Roy Cooke

Thanks Roy. I tried to look around the edges, but didn’t want to stick my nose too far into a live panel box.
The homeowner thought it was 200 amps, but i wanted to run it past you guys.
Here is a pic of the fuse panel.
The service and entry conductors were sufficient for 200 amps.

Seems unusual to see Frank Adams equipment in FL. Or maybe not? I thought that was a mostly west coast brand.

The disconnect for the fuses should have said its size on the out side 100 amps .
Remember it is the weakest link in the chain that governs the size of the service .
Did a home and it had a 35 amp meter and switch on the pole .
200 amp panel inside .
I wrote it up as a 35 amp service the agent called me a bunch of bad names and told every one I new nothing .
She had another HI come out and look at the system .
She had to pay for the upgrade listed wrong .
She also tried to sell a lady a home and I saw that it had been a GROW HOUSE .
Cost her a deal and I now get zip out of the office .
Their loss I get all the inspections I need .
AS My son taught me . Write Hard talk soft and Miss nothing .

Roy Cooke

That fuse size could be anywhere from 70 to 100 amps. Hard to get perspective from that picture to guess what the wire gauge might be.

Hi Brett,

I agree with Marc, realy could be anything, my best guess would be 100 amp supply due to its age, I bet that was installed back in the mid 50’s when 100amp was a good sized residential supply.

Regards

Gerry

Thanks for the help everybody. The home was built in 1965 per the homeowner.

They are definitely not 200 amp fuses.

In listing the size of the circuit, you may consider using the wire size to determine the rating. The smallest link in the circuit is its capacity.

One of the options in your report for sizing should be it could not be determined as was not labeled. You’re not responsible for calculations in home inspection. If you accidentally overestimate the size and capacity of the equipment some Schmuck will try to get you to pay for the upsize!

Why is everyone saying they can’t be more than 100 amps? If you compare them with the handy box on the right you can see they are four inches tall not including the blades. The diameter looks to be 1.5". I have some just like that in my truck, green labels and all, they read 175 amps. The 200 amp fuses are also that same size.

The 100 amp fuses are only 3.5" long and 1" in diameter.

I was busy looking at the double taps on the bottom!

It’s hard to get perspective from a close up pic. I moved the handy box cover next to the fuse, and copied the dimensional data from the catalog. The conductors look suspiciously small to me, but these could be 110-200 amp fuses, it seems now with the additional perspective. Just not enough data to say for sure, but an interesting exercise just the same:

They night be legal some of the old lugs had a travelling piece in so that two wires could be used .
Roy Cooke

The double tap at the lug may be acceptable by manufacturer, but I see two different size conductors installed. If these fuses are 200 amps, will the fuse protect smaller conductor?

How do we know it is 200 amps .
Back in the sixties 70 amp was the normal and a very few 100 amp services .
Roy Cooke