Help! What do you call a light switch that turns a motor on and off?

What do you call it technically? A switch? A disconnect? A toggle? What?

A “motor circuit switch.”

Or “Disconnect Switch”

Then what is it called when you turn it on?

Motor disconnect . Also should be marked as such. My thought
I would also make sure it was rated for the motor it was operating.

Closed circuit is what i would call it

What do you call a “Service Disconnect” when it is “ON” or “OFF”?

A “Service Disconnect”…Right?

Disconnects (“disconnecting means”) are generally associated with “occasional use” devices - disconnecting a service/motor/switch/appliance temporarily for service or repair.

A switch is generally associated with regular or frequent usage.

A Motor rated toggle switch or a disconnect switch. If its a light switch I call it a violation.

A device that looks like an ordinary snap switch that is used to control a motor may be one of two devices. It may be either a “general use snap switch” or a “manual motor starter”. These are two different devices entirely, but often have the same physical appearance to the lay observer. The manual motor starter contains integral motor overload protection. The general use snap switch is not permitted to control a motor that draws more than 1/2 the switches amp rating, unless it is marked with a horsepower rating. Most general use snap switches nowadays have a horsepower rating, but it does not come near the full rating of the switch if it were used to control something more mundane, like lighting. A slang term for a general use snap switch is a “light swtich”, but contrary to the belief of some, it is permitted to control motors with the conditions I outlined above.

Most motor switches i had to deal with have a heater rated for horse power, Like Marc says and usually red toggle, How ever furnace’s ussally just use a ordinary light switch

A toggle switch…

When I hear “toggle,” I think of a three-position switch. One that has (basically) a forward, off and reverse position.

“toggles” can be momentary, 2 or 3 position.

Switch

The Canadian Standards Association CSA classifies toggle switches for lighting circuits as general-use switches. These switches are divided into three categories.

Category 1 contains general-use switches used to control
-alternating-current or direct-current circuits.
-resistive loads not to exceed the ampere rating of the switch at rated voltage.
-inductive loads not to exceed one-half the ampere rating of the switch at rated voltage unless the switche is marked with the letter “F”.
-tungsten filament lamp loads not to exceed the ampere rating of the switch at 125 volts when the switch is marked with the letter “T”.

Category 2 contains those ac general-use switches used to control
-alternating currents only.
-resistive, inductive, and tungsten filament lamp loads not to exceed the ampere rating of the switche at 120 volts.
-motor loads not to exceed 80% of the ampere rating of the switch at rated voltage, but not exceeding 2 horspower.

Category 3 contains those 347 V ac switches use to control…

Toggle switches are available in four types: single-pole, three-way, four-way, and double pole.

The Canadian Standards Association CSA classifies toggle switches for lighting circuits as general-use switches. These switches are divided into three categories.

Category 1 contains general-use switches used to control
-alternating-current or direct-current circuits.
-resistive loads not to exceed the ampere rating of the switch at rated voltage.
-inductive loads not to exceed one-half the ampere rating of the switch at rated voltage unless the switche is marked with the letter “F”.
-tungsten filament lamp loads not to exceed the ampere rating of the switch at 125 volts when the switch is marked with the letter “T”.

Category 2 contains those ac general-use switches used to control
-alternating currents only.
-resistive, inductive, and tungsten filament lamp loads not to exceed the ampere rating of the switche at 120 volts.
-motor loads not to exceed 80% of the ampere rating of the switch at rated voltage, but not exceeding 2 horspower.

Category 3 contains those 347 V ac switches use to control…

Toggle switches are available in four types: single-pole, three-way, four-way, and double pole.

Thanks for the info Marcel. . .

Thanks guys!

lol…