Joe F, update?

**jfarsetta wrote:**I’ve thought I’d seen it all. That is, until the other day. Imagine going to check on the electric out by this above ground swimming pool.

Now, before you look at the photos, imagine that you see an indoor-rated wall switch installed exposed to the elements. Then you see cracked and open conduit. Then you see a broken receptacle box. Then you dont see any GFCI anywhere. Then you see this…

Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Imag0146.jpg ]
Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Imag0143.jpg ]
Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Imag0145.jpg ]
Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Imag0144.jpg ]

Indoor extension cord going up side of pool. Exposed cables. Connected to 110volt lighting. Ty-rapped to the metallic perimeter of this pool. Just above the water line.

UPDATE?

What’s wrong with several extension cords powering christmas lights in the pool water?

Joe T.,

What do you mean by “update”? I imagine that Joe F., being the consumate professional that he is, noted everything in his report as safety issues, etc. and went on his merry way.

What kind of an “update” did you want?

Ask Paul or Gerry!

What about this floating bottle used too?

:roll:

This was about 4 years ago Joe T. What’s the point here?

:mrgreen:

Just bringing back some of the more interesting discussions, and wondered if the pool and cords are still being used.

I think that after a while when the report is completed that the same situation happens again as time goes by when new owners do the same!

Joe T.,

Yea, I hear you and agree. Problem is if Joe F. went out there to check up on it know he’d get arrested for trespassing or something. :slight_smile:

Ask John Bowman! :slight_smile:

Besides, I like to look at the older threads and regenerate discussions.\:D/

I always go back once per week to check on my inspections…don’t you guys? :wink:

It is a job for HOMELAND SECURITY I’m sure. :cool:

John:

I agree, I guess I am thinking in Black and White and as the AHJ, since re-inspections are typical.

I have a video of a few people who were being taped and were electrocuted during the actual taping, and one was because of the typical extension cord that was miss-wired and the person was electrocuted. :frowning:

Good for you!

CPSC Home > Publications > Current
**Consumer Product Safety Commission

****Extension Cords Fact Sheet

CPSC Document #16****THE STATISTICS**

**The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSO) estimates that each year, about 4,000 injuries associated with electric extension cords are treated in hospital emergency rooms. About half the injuries involve fractures, lacerations, contusions, or sprains from people tripping over extension cords. Thirteen percent of the injuries involve children under-five years of age; electrical burns to the mouth accounted for half the injuries to young children.

CPSC also estimates that about 3,300 residential fires originate in extension cords each year, killing 50 people and injuring about 270 others. The most frequent causes of such fires are short circuits, overloading, damage, and/or misuse of extension cords.

**THE PROBLEM

**Following are CPSC investigations of injuries that illustrate the major accident patterns associated with extension cords, namely children putting extension cords in their mouths, overloaded cords, worn or damaged cords, and tripping over cords:

*A 15-month-old girl put an extension cord In her mouth and suffered an electrical burn. She required surgery.

Two young children were injured In a fire caused by an overloaded extension cord in their family’s home. A lamp, TV set, and electric heater had been plugged Into a single, light-duty extension cord.

A 65-year old woman was treated for a fractured ankle after tripping over an extension cord.*

**THE STANDARDS

**The National Electrical Code says that many cord-connected appliances should be equipped with polarized grounding type plugs. Polarized plugs have one blade slightly wider than the other and can only be inserted one way into the outlet. Polarization and grounding ensure that certain parts of appliances that could have a higher risk of electric shock when they become live are instead connected to the neutral, or grounded, side of the circuit. Such electrical products should only be used with polarized or grounding type extension cords.

Voluntary industry safety standards, including those of Underwriters Laboratories Inc.(UL), now require that general use extension cords have safety closures, warning labels, rating information about the electrical current, and other added features for the protection of children and other consumers.

In addition, UL-listed extension cords now must be constructed with #16 gauge or larger wire, or be equipped with integral fuses. The #16 gauge wire is rated to carry 13 amperes (up to 1560 watts), as compared to the formerly-used # 18 gauge cords that were rated for 10 amperes (up to 1200 watts).

**SAFETY SUGGESTIONS

**CPSC has the following recommendations for the purchase and safe use of extension cords:

• Use extension cords only when necessary and only on a temporary basis.

• Use polarized extension cords with polarized appliances.

• Make sure cords do not dangle from the counter or table tops where they can be pulled down or tripped over.

• Replace cracked or worn extension cords with new. #16 gauge cords that have the listing, of a nationally-recognized testing laboratory, safety closures, and other safety features.

• With cords lacking safety closures, cover any unused outlets with electrical tape or with plastic caps to prevent the chance of a child making contact with the live circuit.

• Insert plugs fully so that no part of the prongs are exposed when the extension cord is in use.

• When disconnecting cords, pull the plug rather than the cord itself.

• Teach children not to play with plugs and outlets.

• Use only three-wire extension cords for appliances with three-prong plugs. Never remove the third (round or U-shaped) prong, which is a safety feature designed to reduce the risk of shock and electrocution.

• In locations where furniture or beds may be pushed against an extension cord where the cord joins the plug, use a special “angle extension cord,” which is specifically designed for use in these instances.

• Check the plug and the body of the extension cord while the cord is in use. Noticeable warming of these plastic parts is expected when cords are being used at their maximum rating, however, if the cord feels hot or if there is a softening of the plastic, this is a warning that the plug wires or connections are failing and that the extension cord should be discarded and replaced.

• Never use an extension cord while it is coiled or looped. Never cover any part of an extension cord with newspapers, clothing, rugs, or any objects while the cord is in use. Never place an extension cord where it is likely to be damaged by heavy furniture or foot traffic.

• Don’t use staples or nails to attach extension cords to a baseboard or to another surface. This could damage the cord and present a shock or fire hazard.

• Don’t overload extension cords by plugging in appliances that draw a total of more watts than the rating of the cord.

• Use special, heavy duty extension cords for high wattage appliances such as air conditioners, portable electric heaters, and freezers.

• When using outdoor tools and appliances, use only extension cords labeled for outdoor use.

[Send the link for this page to a friend!](javascript:send():wink: Consumers can obtain this publication and additional publication information from the Publications section of CPSC’s web site or by sending your publication request to info@cpsc.gov.
This document is in the public domain. It may be reproduced without change in part or whole by an individual or organization without permission. If it is reproduced, however, the Commission would appreciate knowing how it is used. Write the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Office of Information and Public Affairs, 4330 East West Highway, Bethesda, MD 20814 or send an e-mail to info@cpsc.gov. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC’s hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC’s teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC’s web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.asp. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC’s Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

Consumer Safety (Home) | About CPSC | Library | Business

Good for you!

Dan:

Seriously, how many inspectors get to go back to do a home inspection at a property that they already inspected?

Please lets all get real here

Death by electrons does happen but why is it so hard to kill someone in an electric chair with 1000’s of volts??

Joe - I think you are afraid of electricity – You are like the a teenager that goes around sealed in a rubber because you think everyone has aids

Trust me like a gun it can kill you but in most cases it won’t

Yes teach respect and safety but lets not go to the point of taking it out of our homes and replacing it with candles and wood burning stoves

Give us a break

rlb

PS Have you thought about seeking professional help with your mental state?? I have with my self and the drugs are real good — also the insurance company pays for the stuff which is cheaper than buying on the street

rlb

rlb

Where do you attend NACHI chapter meetings if any, and were is Frostproof, Florida?

:slight_smile:

Death by electrons does happen but why is it so hard to kill someone in an electric chair with 1000’s of volts??

rlb, sure how would you feel if this happened to someone in your family?

Legislative session passes 150 new laws

150 new laws

Louisville resident Bonnie Lawrence says she felt electricity coming through her 5-year-old son’s body when she touched him after he collapsed at a baby sitter’s house in 2002.

Isaac was killed after he played in a sprinkler and then touched a metal door on a garage that had been improperly wired without a permit. The contractors weren’t indicted, the city couldn’t be sued, and Lawrence said she was told repeatedly that her son’s death just “fell through the cracks.”
“I don’t want there to be any more damn cracks,” said Lawrence, who spent the last year fighting for a new law toughening penalties for electrical contractors.

“My 5-year-old innocent firstborn child died the way we punish our most heinous criminals,” she added. “It makes me sick.”

House Bill 28, dubbed “Isaac’s Law” and signed last week by Gov. Ernie Fletcher, allows local governments to boost the fines for doing electrical work without a permit to $1,000 for the first offense and $2,000 for subsequent violations from a current maximum of $250.

The new law allows the same potential fines for failure to get an inspection after having electrical work done, and for all other code violations where the penalty is recommended by an electrical inspector.

Isaac’s Law is among 149 recently passed bills that Fletcher had signed into law as of Tuesday, along with 25 resolutions. One other bill became law without Fletcher’s signature.

A final flurry of legislation is expected to pass when the General Assembly meets for its final three days next week.

Most of those new laws, including Isaac’s Law, will take effect in mid-July, 90 days after the legislative session ends.

But nine of the laws took effect immediately, after the legislature attached emergency clauses.

http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060406&Category=NEWS0101&ArtNo=604060435&Ref=AR&Profile=1008&MaxW=315

Robert C. Tackett, an electrical inspector, worked at a building under construction this week on New La Grange Road. The determined efforts of a family whose son was electrocuted spurred the General Assembly to pass a law on electrical permits. (By Bill Luster, The Courier-Journal)

http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060406&Category=NEWS0101&ArtNo=604060435&Ref=V2&Profile=1008&MaxW=160

Isaac Lawrence, above, was electrocuted in 2002. “My 5-year-old innocent firstborn child died the way we punish our most heinous criminals,” said his mother, Bonnie Lawrence, below, shown with her husband, Russell, and daughter, Eden, 6. Family members testified for House Bill 28, which increases the penalty for people who fail to get proper permits before doing electrical work.

http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060406&Category=NEWS0101&ArtNo=604060435&Ref=H3&Profile=1008&MaxW=160

](“http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060406&Category=NEWS0101&ArtNo=604060435&Ref=H3&Profile=1008&MaxW=160")](“http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060406&Category=NEWS0101&ArtNo=604060435&Ref=V2&Profile=1008&MaxW=160”)]("http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B2&Date=20060406&Category=NEWS0101&ArtNo=604060435&Ref=AR&Profile=1008&MaxW=315”)

On the map try zip code 33843

If a chapter exist more than 6 months I might go to it if it is within one hr of travel time unless it is a two day event and I will stay overnite

Got to remember that like many places in this country are like Frostproof – out in the sticks – Major industry in this two traffic light town is OJ and new construction.

Joe your do need to see a shrink – where I live and what chapter I am a member of is a way out in the woods question

It is almost as bad as your phone call to me in the wee moning hrs a few months ago when I offended you

As a result of that post and your phone call I apologized and pulled my posts

If you are upset about anything that I said let me know and I will pull the posts and apologise

Hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction

Regards

rlb

Joe

Permits would have not saved the Kid - where was parent supervision and was the parent the person that did not pull the permit or contract a good HI when they bought the home??

Who knows - The kid is dead and a knee jerk law has been passed - will it save a life ----NO

(Joe please sit down and have a chat with someone that you trust)

Knowledge would have — Do your really think a local city inspector would have found the problem?

Get real – This is 2006 – not 2002

We all will die some day – It is a fact of life

rlb

rlb

Now I am sure ~ that you are just a lonely person who is all alone and have no real reason for being here ~ only to try to break my gonads!

You need to see the shrink and talk about your problems!

I am very sane and healthy, and I only asked about Florida because I usually go there 4-6 times a year. Maybe you could tell my class a bit about electrical safety and that wearing gloves and PPE is for sissies!

You make home inspections?

I wonder sometimes how you come across to others? Everyone of your posts about electrical safety shows that you are not really aware of the possibilities for an accident.

I think I would stay off the suds if I were you ~ it shows ~ and no doubt that I have rattled your cage too, seems that all the 3RD generation boozers get their strength from the bottle or the pills, now please go away and don’t bother me anymore. :twisted: