Knob and Tube

What is the proper way of connecting knob and tube with rommex? Isn’t there a unique connection that is needed?

Junction box.

tom

http://www.carsondunlop.com/OBS/pdf/knob.pdf

I hope this helps.

0602 (Small).JPG

Oh, I remember something too. If it is metal, you need to nip out metal between the lines coming in, something about eddie-currents. I use plastic, so no special steps necessary.

tom

Too Funny…:smiley:

I feel that Knob and Tube has lived out its useful life and should be removed every time a person gets a chance to.
I see no advantage in trying to extend its life.
My recommendation is to replace it with modern wiring .

…Cookie

I pulled this out of a house I was helping to refurbish in Allentown. Getting it up to date for a hard-working family.

Anyone recognize it? It does look like it has a missing tab, for mounting.I’m sure Marc will. :wink:

tom

romex-to-kt.jpg

You mean these?..

Oh Joe those are pretty!

tom

That fitting is called an End-O, Monkey face connector, or Caplet.

The commonly observed use is a non-compliant use of such a fitting. We commonly see this fitting used for terminating romex for open splices between romex and K&T. This is not, and never was, the intended use for this fitting.

The actual proper use for this fitting is to terminate the end of romex and BX (type AC cable) inside of the old wooden panelboards that normally had asbestos lining and porcelain fuse blocks inside.

The following image, while it contains many violations, also shows a compliant use for this fitting on the end of the feeder BX:

image courtesy Frank Wilson

Most insurance companies in Canada won’t cover it or if they do, premiums go up 3,4,5 times what a standard premium would be.