Looking for double neutral comment

Does anyone have a good narritive for double tapped neutrals for older panel installations? Obviously since the panels would be dated, the application would be acceptable for the time.
something that would be easy for a home buyer to understand.
thanks in advance…:smiley:

It never has been permitted technically.

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Electrical%20Distribution/Panelboards/0100DB0705.pdf

Simple and basic…

Actually isn’t it unsafe because the bar has not been tested with two neutrals in a single hole?

I don’t understand…they are all on the same bus bar. The turning off of multiple circuits doesn’t make sense. They are are all the same bar, double tapped or not. School me as to why?

-Carl

I won’t even attempt to get into a debate over my comment, as many of you would chew me up and spit me out when it comes to electrical theory…

But…

Do you not agree that…

Carl
It has to do with servicing a circuit. If both neutrals are removed, the additional live circuit is now without a neutral. I am trying to put togheather a comment that explains this to the buyer without making them go huh???
FWIW, you would think since it only affects the circuit when it’s being worked on, any electrician would be savy enough to turn off the others as well.

But we all know Sparkies are invincible and rarely turn off the main when repairing a single circuit… or two.

I can understand removing both double tapped neutrals kill 2 circuits. But in theory, double tapped or not, they are all bonded together. I can understand it could be a weak connection also.

Double tapped or not, why the requirement to turn off 2 breakers? Since they are all bonded together on the same bar? If that is the case, it seems you would have to just shut of the main, which I would do anyway if I were to be working in a panel (not inspecting, but working?

Thanks,
Carl
*maybe I need to go sleep on this…i’m tired :slight_smile:

Why does the UL standard place this
restriction on the panelboard?

Solid rationale exists for individual termination requirements in the product
standards. Multiple neutral conductors in a single termination create a
significant problem when the circuit needs to be isolated. In order to isolate
the circuit, the branch breaker is turned off and the neutral is disconnected
by removing it from the terminal. If the terminal is shared with another
circuit, the connection on the other (still energized) circuit will be loosened
as well. Loosening of the second neutral (loss of neutral) under load is a
safety hazard, and may establish an overvoltage condition on lighting and
appliances if the neutral is part of a 120/240 Vac multi-wire branch circuit.
Also, the neutral assemblies are not evaluated with multiple neutral
conductors in the same terminal.

I understand what you’re saying if there are two circuits terminated in one hole to work on one neutral you would need to shut off two circuits.

If you need to understand why this is a hazard, try this experiment, open a panel, find a circuit that is in use, disconnect the the neutral wire, and grab it in one hand, then touch the panel with the other hand - OK don’t do that it might kill you. You will get a big *** shock, because you just put yourself in series with the entire circuit.

The other reason it is dangerous is that a loose neutral wire can burn or arc. see the pic.

Good illustration of what happens when a current carrying conductor is loose.
That’s the whackiest looking neutral busbar I’ve seen in a long time…
I don’t think I’ve seen those panels around here, ever (probably because it’s a “Canada only” model)
What brand of the panel is it anyway??

No clue, here’s some more pictures, 1979 house. referred to electrician for more than one reason :slight_smile:

Double lugged neutrals and grounds inside panel box (more than one electrical conductor attached). This is not standard practice, and may cause overheating or even an electrical fire. Recommend evaluation by a licensed electrician.

KISS !

Multiple neutral conductors terminate under the same lug. An individual terminal should be provided for the connection of each branch-circuit neutral conductor. Recommend repair by a licensed electrical contractor when out for other work.
Multiple neutral conductors or neutral & equipment grounding conductors in a single termination create a significant problem when the circuit needs to be isolated. Loosening of the second neutral (loss of neutral) under load is a safety hazard, and may establish an over-voltage condition on lighting and appliances.

You may want to fix that as it is not true.

from Mike Holt’s site

http://www.mikeholt.com/multimedia/N…LAN-smooth.ram

Your right Thanks

Multiple neutral conductors in a single termination create a significant problem as they may become loose or when the circuit needs to be isolated. Loosening of the second neutral (loss of neutral) under load is a safety hazard, and may establish an overvoltage condition on lighting and appliances.