LS main fuse disconnect and AL.

main panel upgrade without the disconnect being upgraded.
If you heard the excuse you would be shocked.

AL off a old late 50’s main disconnect.
No paste.
anything else?

Was it a like for like upgrade? In other words, was it an old 100A Fuse panel that got upgraded to a 100A Circuit Breaker panel?

The reason I ask is because it is very common to simply do a change over rather than an upgrade and keep the same ratings of the equipment. Granted I have not really looked at the image because I can’t see it well on this device (I am on a break from an article I am writting) but this is very common and would not always require an upgrade of the disconnection means if next to the panelboard.

also just an FYI…the Antioxidant paste is not required (its permitted) unless the manufacturer calls for it on the listing. Again not knowing otherwise I will assume you saw that reference on the listings. Just note that not always is Antioxidant paste needed…for example if I install a new panel today and use AL cable i don’t need the paste…i might use it but it is not required unless something tells me to use it.

Again I can’t see the picture that well so i can’t comment on anything else…now back to my article. I have been traveling so much that today is my off day to get some office work done.

PS. Hope thats a metal nipple between the service disconnect and the panel enclosure…as I only see 3 conductors and well…I can’t tell much else…:wink:

It looks like a new panel with main breaker may not have fit in the height that was available. As long as the OCP and conductor sizings match I don’t see the issue. Paul has covered the other possible issues.

Thank you gental men.

The extra efert to insure the panel is up to todays standards still amazes me.
The main disconnect will have to be upgraded and the home went though a full renovation. I wish you where there.

That is why I placed it one the MB.

No deficences. The AL was the issue.
I see it all the time in stacked condos. paste is always there.

15 people and 5 childern from 1.5 years to 4 years at my feet.

If those conductors are of the same vintage as the disconnect switch then the conductors are tinned copper not aluminum. Does the disco contain fuses? If so then the nipple is permitted to be the EGC.

Why does the disconnect need to be upgraded?

As was stated, unless the CEC is different, the antioxidant is not required.

Aluminum feeders are used safely and installed every day.

Yep…I love AL Conductors…(Feeders and Service Conductors) I am also fond of CU as well…:slight_smile:

Single pole tamdiem Schneider Electric breakers in the square D ,Schneider make the panel but do they all the single pole tamdiem in the panel ?
no white tape on the neutral and tinned copper original main service conductors.

What’s a Tamdiem?..lol

Sorry I misspelled. Programming a PC. Oops sorry.
Tandem single pole 15 amp Schneider breakers.
Never seen them before in a panel. Only on line. Actually here on the MB.
Sorry for the error.

Schnieder is the parent company of Square D.

Just pulling your chain fella…we knew what your saying.:slight_smile:

You see anything wrong with those breaks in the panel ?

That entirely depends on the Panelboards listing. On the legend it should tell you if Tandems are permitted on this Panelboard. The ID type should be on the legend and it will say which OCPD’s can be used on this Panelboard. In some systems you will see ratings like 20/30 or 30/40 which mean that 10 spaces are designed for tandems…but the space limitation of OCPD’s should also be on the legend.

I could not read the legend.
I took a photo but not good enough.
12 individuals in the basement and a maid.
I usually ask for receipts on upgrades myself. The panel upgrade was less than one year old and done my a MASTER ELECTRICIAN so stated.
I ask for receipts to allow transferable warranty, guaranties stand and show proper methods of trades practices where taken. :slight_smile:
No bills cuts low on my totem pole.

This is from the 2009 CEC, I don’t believe that it has changed in the 2012 version.

**[FONT=StoneSerif-Bold][size=2]12-118 Termination and splicing of aluminum conductors
**[/size][/FONT][FONT=StoneSans]size=2 Adequate precaution shall be given to the termination and splicing of aluminum conductors, including the
removal of insulation and separators, the cleaning (wire brushing) of stranded conductors, and the
compatibility and installation of fittings.
(2) A joint compound, capable of penetrating the oxide film and preventing its reforming, shall be used for terminating or splicing all sizes of stranded aluminum conductors, unless the termination or splice is approved for use without compound and is so marked.
[/size][/FONT]

Thanks Jim. Much appreciated as always.
I have another question.
It will be on todays post.

Thank you Paul.
Great info as usual. Manufacturer recommendations are a key.
I lost everything and I am scrambling to replenish my file base.