Main panel minimum height from floor?

What’s the minimum height requirement for a main distribution panel. I know the maximum height, but can’t find any information about minimum height from floor. Tomorrow I’ll be looking at a panel that was installed in a dining room knee wall 18" above floor. I know it’s an unsafe height, but need to know what code says.

Thanks guys

The NEC does not specify a minimum height, only the maximum height of 2 meters or 6’7" to to center of the operating handle.

Why do you feel that this height is an issue?

On anything other than a mobil home the panel must be above ground. In a mobil home the min is 24 inches off finish floor.

Now tell me that the NEC makes a lot of sense…no I did’t say that!!!
The devil made me do it??

Steve the IRC states 6ft 5in from floor or any applicable state or local code

Dennis, I think something is missing from that post…

WHAT:shock: …Shame on you…thehehehhe

thanks mike must be the heat

at 17" above floor, it can be easily damaged and children can easily access.

Thanks, Mike

I know the post is too old but i need help about that

Where was that stated in NEC ?

Waiting for your reply

Hii

Where was stated in NEC? because i couldn’t find it.

I know the post is too old but i need help about that.
Waiting for your soon reply.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nec+section+maximum+breaker+height

NEC 404.8 section A -

1 Like

I don’t believe there is one in the code but you can narrate safety concerns, Steve.

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Wendy!..enjoy participating. :smiley:

1 Like

That states the maximum height. There is no minimum except for a mobile home disconnect.

1 Like

I live in Cali and have always set all my panels to 6’ to the top of the panel can and have never had a problem. Some times with a 480volt panel that does almost put the panel can on the floor. It does however give you nice uniformity across the top of multiple cans which only matters in an electric room in a commercial building.

Sorry about that response. It probably was not appropriate. I was just thinking about what I posted and realize I need to start thinking more like an inspector and less like and electrician of 30 years.

Moot question.
**Electrical panels need to be installed 4′ off the ground with the ‘center grip handle/toggle’ of the highest circuit breaker no more than 6’7″ high to be NEC compliant. In Canada it is different.
The ‘clearance’ around the electric panel must be at least 30 inches wide, on either or both sides, with a front workspace clearance of 3’.
*Note: The electric panel door, if/when equipped with one, must be able to open to a 90° degrees.
Hope that helps.

Is this a Canada requirement?

1 Like