Maximum # of outlets

In 2006 what was the maximum number of outlets allowed for 20A??

Not sure if they were going by 2005 rules or 2002

Is this a residential unit and are you referring to receptacles?

As many as you want for a home.

Code - yes

Smart -no

Yes residential, and let me rephrase. How many outlets (receptacles) are allowed on one branch circuit…
I know now it is 13, was it different for 2002 or 2005?

The actual number, by the 2005 NEC, calculates to be 12.77. Since 13 actually exceeds that number, some AHJs will limit it to 12 while others round up to 13…but applies it only to commercial, industrial, institutional and other non-residential installations. There is no mention of any limit to a residential installation.

In residential units, receptacles are required by number and spacing. Limits for residential units are arrived at through load calculations…not rule of thumb.

Had a house with 16 today. All three upstairs bedrooms and the hall on one afci… I thought it was wrong but did not know about earlier versions. I guess it would require a load calculation to verify. You usually dont see that many.

It is not wrong but Jim is.

His maximum only applies to commercial.

Do you actually trace what outlets are on each circuit? If yes why? I’m not saying your wrong I’m just wondering.:slight_smile:

The last thing I did was trip the afci. All three bedrooms and the hall went dead. Its simple counting then…:smiley:

Just talked to a buddy of mine here and our ahj does have residential requirements. The 2011 and newer will now only allow 8 instead of 12

Better check with the code book unless you plan to use the “buddy of mine” reference when challenged. The AHJ is not allowed to deviate from the code but perhaps your municipality or county has amended it. In either case, you should have the actual reference at your fingertips, IMO.

He has been an electrical contractor for 30 years. I think I will go with what he says.

Even full time professional inspectors get this wrong. :wink:

To my knowledge, in ***residential ***applications there is no actual limit on the number of receptacles connected in a brach circuit.

There is a minimum requirement, based on location in room, linear footage between receptacles, and usage (E.G.: dining room, kitchen, etc). Again, this is a MINIMUM requirement. Nothing about MAXIMUM.

The number of receptacles has no bearing on the branch circuit, as they are connected in parallel. Each device plugged in has a resistive value, when that when placed in parallel, lowers the overall resistance of the branch circuit, thusly increasing the amount of current flow through the entire circuit path.

Breakers trip thermally and magnetically. When the amount of current flow exceeds the breaker rating, it trips.

It doesnt matter if it’s 2 devices, 10 devices, or a hundred.

Agreed. Residential placement and number has more to do with reducing the use of and need for extension cords and other potentially hazardous devices. You know…like the 30 foot long wall with no receptacles that some contractor with 30 years of electrical experience overlooked.

I agree with what Joe is saying. It does not matter how many outlets is on a circuit (I do not care what Mike Holmes says). As long as it has current protection, it should be fine.

I watch Holmes Inspection just for good laughs.

As many others have said the 180 VA per receptacle calculation does not apply to residential dwellings. Every code cycle there are many proposals to include the 180 VA calculation in residential dwellings and every code cycle it’s rejected. Here is one such rejection. You can read the code making panels comments at the bottom: