meter base size

Curious about a meter base:
Picture 059 redo.jpg

Picture 008 redo.jpg

I’ve read several postings on this board as well as Paul A.'s online video. I’m not very versed in determining wire size (getting better I hope)…

But, this box is confusing me. It’s not square. It’s rectangular, but not large like other 200 amp services I’ve seen. It’s a 'tweener.

The panel has a Cutler Hammer 150amp disconnect.

Hopefully you can see the pictures.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Bruce

Picture 008 redo.jpg

Picture 008 redo.jpg

Picture 008 redo.jpg

Hi to all,

Bruce that meter socket would undoubtedly have a 200 amp rating, but you are much better off by looking at the conductors.

Regards

Gerry

Sounds like a 150 amp service. As for the wires being smaller, when I run individual conductors, like this mast service, I use copper. So guessing the same was done here, base on your description. BTW, the photo appears to have a neutral conductor that looks dark, the metal, guessing that is green?

tom

So because the meter base is rectangular that makes it a 200 amp? My own home’s 200 amp base is rectangular but larger, so I was confused (I usually am :wink: )

thanks

That is a Milbank 150 amp meter can, but it is a “compact” version. My local POCO’s don’t permit their use, which is good for me. They’re just too darned cramped to wire. If you have a 150 amp main, unless there are any conductor contradictions, you have a 150 amp service. There are darned few 150 amp services, since they are essentially the same price as a 200 amp service when installed.

As I say in the Video Bruce…of all the items to THROW out it would be the meter enclosure.

As in this post you have different views or opinions based on the meter enclosure…BUT if you throw that out and use the factors explained in the video you can come to a factor you can use for the report.

Sad to say the only time I know of anyone truly using the meter enclosure to size a service is when they forgot to actually look at the other parts but still happen to have a picture of the meter enclosure and trying to use it to size it…and that would be wrong as suggested in the video.