Metered water

Today’s inspection—water running into the meter base by following the pipe down from a roof leak at the mast flashing and through the threaded adaptor at the top of the meter base.:roll:

Lund-Parker 013.jpg

If properly installed the hub on the top of the meter can should not allow water to enter the meter can, at least not that much.

I had water enter my meter base, and then my service panel, 10+ years on a south side, was too much for duct seal. Might want to see if it has cracks, and defer to a qualified electrician for further investigation.

BTW, it’s a good tip not to touch any water coming out of an electrical box. Solid or not. :wink:

tom

Tom thanks for the advice. Actually your response is the real reason I posted the picture----in order to get some discussion going about the conductivity of water. Ordinary rain water or tap water is not conductive and can only be made conductive by the addition of considerable contamination. Salt water is more conductive. I have cut off extension cords and frozen the ends in ice and it wouldn’t even trip a GFCI:shock: The discussion becomes even more interesting when thinking of plastic tubs with plastic drains and supply piping and whether someone could get a shock touching a hot conductor while being in the water-----I don’t think so. Anyone else have any ideas on the subject?:-k

Rain water is precontaiminated. Either by the soil/dust/salt crystal it forms around, or the weak carbolic acid formed by absorbing CO2.

BTW, I was looking at my service panel cause I heard something, later found out it was dripping water. I opened the door, and saw shiny stuff, between the breakers and said to myself, “hey is that water?” I reached up and touched it, and got juiced. I was wearing socks standing on a concrete floor, so it jumped through me, since the humid air was the ground most likely, if I was barefoot, I don’t think might be around to tell you, Rain Water Conducts Electricity! :smiley:

It was just rain water.

Tom, is it not possible that the electricity arced from the metal enclosure “around” the water to you?

I touched the plastic breaker, not the metal. My service panel is properly grounded too. I checked it with my wiggly. :wink:

tom

Ouch! Doesn’t that hurt.
ROTFL

Oh you meant Wiggy

No my Wiggly.

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-square-d-wiggly-voltage-tester-vt-1–pi-1297996.html

I don’t have a square-d, but I do have a GE and IDeal. However brand (size I’ve been told) doesn’t matter, they’re all wigglies. :wink:

tom

lol…I wont TOUCH this one…:slight_smile:

**Get More Info…
Technical Data On-Line CatalogCompetitive Cross Reference](http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/html/sections/15/17215002.htm)](http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/html/sections/01/17201021.htm)CAD Drawings
Machine Safeguarding

**Wiggy®          Voltage Tester**
    The          venerable Wiggy® Voltage Tester has been on the market sine 1918.          This modern day, solenoid type version now incorporates many additional          features.
   **Features          and Benefits**
  • One piece molded housing is made of tough ABS plastic to withstand hard knocks and falls.
  • Compact design has slotted receptacles for storing and holding electrical prods
  • Scar resistant textured finish
  • Easy to read color scale indicates voltage range:
    120-240-480-600 Volts AC at 50/60 Hz
    120-240-600 Volts DC

And I’m very glad about that.:wink:

Well now…not sure HOW I should take that Micheal…:slight_smile:

My Wiggly thanks you!

:wink: