Mike Boyetts' electrical bond tester

Mike,

I received the two electrical bond testers that I ordered from you yesterday. Not only do they help me to comply with the new SOP, they work great, are high quality and will add some extra flash to wow clients during an inspection. Nice work! A big Bravo Zulu to you.

www.capcityinspections.com/Bond_Tester_Order](http://www.capcityinspections.com/Bond_Tester_Order)

Thanks John, I appreciate the kudo’s & BZ. It’s unfortunate that we are saddled with that new inspection requirement here in Tx but hopefully this will make it a little easier & quicker.

Cal I ask what the new requirement is, and what exactly that tester tests for?

I’d love to see the UL listing on those things. There is absolutely both a failure mode of the tool, a failure mode of the building’s wiring, and a failure mode of an appliance (3 ways in total, at least) in which the operator of the test instruments can be injured or killed.

Got mine too. Works great. Have already run into the situation where I needed it to be a longer cord. Not sure what the answer is, as having too long of a cord would get in the way most of the time. And I am wondering how long till I lose the little plastic probe cover.

Thanks again Michael! When are you coming out with the CapCity all in one single pryer/raiser/resealer?

Got mine and it works great. Thanks Mike.

Funny you should ask that Kevin…I’ve thought about doing exactly that. Putting a little “TREC 2009 SOP Inspection Tools Package” together.

I’ve thought about simply offering an inexpensive 3-wire extension cord as an optional accessory and may very well do that. I found a 15’ one at Lowe’s that would work just fine if the 8’ of probe wire wasn’t long enough. Any more than that and it would get too unwieldy I think.

What is the requirement in your SOP that you need this tester?
What specifically does it do?
I have never seen anything like it.

Just out of curiosity Kevin, can you describe that situation? Again, my thoughts have been that 8’ of probe should get you from an outlet to any appliance.

Furnace/blower unit in attic and related gas pipes. Extension cord is an obvious answer, =), just trying to limit the amount of crap I have to carry around.

OK. At least on newer homes there should be an electrical convenience outlet nearby and within 8’ of the furnace, huh?

There must be a receptacle, but there is no distance requirement.

Fluke isn’t applicable/acceptable here? Or is this just an alternative? I’ve used ext. cord to good known outlet and gone from there.

Thanks, curious,

Tim

Yes, Tim…this is just an easier, cheaper, quicker alternative to a higher priced commercial meter. It has the ground connection ‘built in’ and the audible feedback really speeds things up.

Within 25’ of HVAC equipment per 03 IRC E3801.11 :smiley:

Hmmm. I am ashamed to say it is the same in the NY Resi code. I never knew there was a distance. I guess I just always had one close just by as common practice.
Thanks.

Yep, I see that now. Fortunately, I tend to see them much closer than that though, usually right at the furnace/air handler. The 25’ would be another reason to have a lightweight 3-wire extension cord if using my tester.

How about some responses to posts #3 and #4 by Speedy and Marc. I’ve learned to never doubt what they say.

Regarding the question in post #3. Texas has a new inspection SOP that now requires us to ensure appliances and water pipes are bonded/grounded. That’s been described and discussed several times on the board and specifically in this thread.

Re: post #4 - There’s nothing magical or proprietary about this application of a commercially available Extech CT20(a FLIR company) continuity tester. I simply replace the probes with a more easily used plug, i.e. you gotta get Ground somewhere to use to test the appliance chassis to. No modifications are made to the the Extech itself. Click on the hyperlink in the Extech above or here to see the specifications of that commercial tester. It admonishes, as do I in my use instructions, to ensure that the outlet to be used for detecting Ground is wired and operating properly prior to using the Extech. Again, they do the same thing. My tester makes no connections to the Hot or Neutral pins of an outlet.