Mood Lighting Shower

This is a shower stall with a string of lights. I guess it was mood lighting.:wink:

Was it GFCI protected?

I expect they are low voltage did you find the supply . Was it low voltage ??

Nope.

'Tis the season.

I’ve got one of these in my shower and just love it.

That is about right for someone from Chicago. Did you ever learn to tie your shoes:shock:

Not required to be GFCI Protected. I also believe none of the below applies either…

410.10(D) No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

Now that is ALL based on very limited information provided and is subject to a change of opinion when more relevant information.

I’m confused. Why would this not apply?

FYI - I told my client to remove the lights.

Furthermore, with all due respect, I am not doing a code inspection. I am issuing a professional opinion. My opinion will not always be in step with code and this is no different than what Ben Gromicko has stated in his training. Also, InterNACHI’s SOP states “deemed material by the inspector”, which is similar to most states SOP. Not, was code compliant.

That light does not appear to be listed for wet locations so it cannot be installed as in the photo according to the NEC section that Paul quoted. The last sentence of his code section would be the relevant part:

There are LED’s listed for use in wet and damp areas. Not enough can be gleaned from the picture to determine if those are so rated.

Part of that would not apply since they are no cord connecte nor are they pendant lights.

Before you tell someone to remove something there needs to be some basis for that recommendation. There is a possibility there is no issue.

There are LED’s listed for use in wet and damp areas. Not enough can be gleaned from the picture to determine if those are so rated.

That information was also not available to me at the inspection. I have to make a judgement call with the information I have at the inspection.

I don’t care what your doing…I just gave you my opinion. You can call out a panel thats 2 inches from a sink as a hazard if you wish…I would laugh you out of the courtroom…but then again its your inspection so I understand.

Also I do not consider those to be “luminaries”.

However…I will support your right to defer when in doubt…at least it makes the people aware of what they buying and limits your potential liability from the inspection.

Exactly…when you answer questions based on what is presented without the context of the thought (as the OP did) then you can only provide opinions.

I do not consider those to be “luminaries” so I would not determine them meeting that specific aspect of the NEC nor need to be. However, without knowing the full details and how they are wired its just hard for me to comment otherwise…but I again respect the notion of deferral if in doubt.

https://www.pegasuslighting.com/led-tape-lights/12-foot-soft-daylight-led-line-voltage-tape-rope-hybrid-2-light-kit-wet-location.html

https://www.pegasuslighting.com/getDynamicImage.aspx?b=00ffffff&path=120-h2-wh.jpg&w=800&h=800

Get Your MOOD LIGHT ON…:wink:

For the sake of discussion, how does the NEC view LED strip lights? Would Article 410 or 411 apply? If not does any Article apply and if so, which one?

Sounds like a luminaire to me.

Not Me…;)…I can use a nightlight as a light but doesn’t make it a luminaire no more than a lampholder is a luminaire.