New Electrical Power Distribution

Hey Mark, since you can identify something in the plumbing section, maybe I will get plumbers to help you here. ha. ha. :wink:

Identify, what am I looking at?

Yep, they are all connected together.

Wonder what is in that big box?

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Just a few panelboards mounted in panelboard cabinets. A couple have “feed through lugs” to satisfy the 42 circuit limit per paneloard cabinet. The one connected to the transformer is a 480 panel and what we’d typically call an MDP (main distribution panel). The “big box” is probably an ATS (automatic transfer switch), but I’m not real famaliar with GE equipment to recognize it right off. Could even be a VFD. I just don’t know. Opening the door or reading the writing on the operator interface would solve the mystery.

Smart $ss. :slight_smile:

Yep, you nailed it. Didnt need help from the plumbers even. ha. ha.

Believe it or not that ATS box is empty and almost a joke when you open it up.

It is connected in place now and will try to get pictures of the inside.

It is energized, so I need the electrician to open it for me.

Nice work Mark.

Bigger cabinets will normally be gutted out to facillitate mounting them. Even when the guts are installed in an ATS, it can still look pretty empty inside. An ATS cabinet normally has extra room for a multitude of accessories that can be added.

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/Dispatcher?REQUEST=PRODUCTS&pnlid=8&famid=3&catid=5580&id=zte

Thanks Mark, and I guess the client did not buy any accessories, because this is one big empty box.

Empty, as in “empty-empty”? If that’s the case, I wonder if they just bought the cabinet, had the requisite conductors spliced inside and ready for if they ever do want an ATS? Just buy the guts later on, maybe? Weird.

Well, it does have the gadgets to the left in the picture, which senses the loss of power and then in the middle it has the connection terminal block for wires coming from the generator which would be remote plug in on the exterior of the building.

That portion of it is not done yet.

What sort of occupancy is this, anyhow? I just looked up that ATS, and it’s more of a “mission critical” type ATS. Is this a nursing home, data center, or something like that?

Mark, visist my thread in the General Inspections. Do you have access to that one?

If not this is the building.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19787&d=1206300397

It is a renovation of a College Building for Academics and a couple of classrooms. I has four floors counting the attic. Built in 1846, complete re-hab.

Their was over 40,000 feet of CAT6 wire run in the building, so that might explain to you why they need a generator. ha. ha.

In the last picture, it almost looks like there is a “hot suit & helmet” in the right hand backround side of the ATS.

It is Pierre, that was an existing transformer being switched over to feed a new 480 MDP.

Marcel :smiley: :slight_smile: