No main disconnect

This is the first time I’ve run into this situation so I was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to the best way to describe this in the report. There is no main disconnect associated with this panel.

Are there any other.Is this the service main ?

Looks like a split bus panel. Reading the,label would have confirmed this.

If it is a split bus it falls under the 6 throws of the hand rule. The breakers, up to 6, are the disconnects for the panel.

A photo of the panel without the cover would confirm Jim’s statement.

Roy,

Yeah this is the only panel. It's in a duplex and there are two services entrances. 

Jim,

I've never heard of the 6 throws rule so correct me if I'm wrong, but there are way more than 6 breakers so that rule wouldn't apply would it?

I only see 4, and the one looks like it is labeled “lighting main”. The ones below the split are controlled by the lower left breaker.

A service disconnect can be up to 6 “throws” (breakers). It appears you have a split bus panel. One or more of the breakers in the top half of that panel, powers the lower half. I see 5 (?) breakers on the top half. Turning off all 5 would disconnect the service.

It would have been very obvious with the cover off.

Reading the label will show this without opening the panel too.

Actually, looking at the label on my phone I can see the split bus diagram.

I thought so to, but was on a tablet so I wasn’t sure.

Well what you guys are saying makes sense. This is honestly the first time I’ve ever run into this. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate the help. Hopefully I can return the favor some day.

Glad you were a able to learn from this.

Justin, with that attitude you’ll go far. More around here could benefit from doing the same. :smiley:

Post of the Year!!

Thanks, Larry!