To Be or not to be GFCI

A receptacle below the bathroom sink in the cabinet (you have to open a cabinet door), would that fall under the exception rule (1) not needed to be GFCI protected since it is not readily accessible ??

The GFCI function is for the person using the appliance plugged in. Can a hair dryer for example be plugged in and reach the sink? I say it should be GFCI protected.

What exception? 210.8(A)(1) just says “bathrooms”.
All 15 and 20a 120v receptacles in the bathroom must have GFCI protection without exception. (at least as far back as 1975)

I think you are confusing other parts of 210.8 that did have exceptions but they don’t apply to the bathroom.

NEC 2002 210.8 (A)
Exception No.1 Receptacles that are not readily accessible.

Again, WHAT exception.
There are NO exceptions to “210.8(A)(1) Bathrooms”.

Quite a contrast to the post, I don’t remember if it was here, where HI wanted GFI protection for dining room receptacle on the other side of a pass thru that was within 6’ of the kitchen sink.

He can “want” all he wants. That “request” holds no water.

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel
(A)(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces

Ray,

Visit the other site for a full explanation of this

The short answer is the exception you are looking at is to 210.8(A)(2) and does not apply to 210.8(A)(1). Two separate rules.

Thanks Mike