Old Outlet

Anyone have any information on this old outlet? Why 4 holes? The top and the bottom holes don’t line up. (its a 2 wire system -no ground)

http://www.philadelphia-electricians-how-to.com/2011/08/antique-tandem-and-parallel-receptacle.html

Thanks Michael. I looked for more information on the net but didn’t come up with much other than they were for a NEMA type plug …do you know any more about them? BTW one was located in the living room

They should go away.

Outdated and obsolete.

Refer to an electrician.

1930’s style baseboard outlets providing 120v (110 at the time) at 15A and 240v (220v at the time) at 5A or 7A (I don’t recall).
Not any more (or less) dangerous than any other type wiring of that era.
If you are having any doubts – defer…

I bet that tandem is better than some of the crap we find today. Thing is as Micheal says they are old and they need to be removed. This one is way to close to the floor.

US combination duplex socket http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/Combo-outlet.jpg/135px-Combo-outlet.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Tslotplug.jpg/195px-Tslotplug.jpg

Left: extremely old “Nurpolian”-brand black parallel and tandem duplex socket rated at 250 V 10 A (although normally supplied with 120 V). Right: T-slot duplex socket.

The parallel and tandem socket accepts normal parallel NEMA 1‐15 plugs and also tandem NEMA 2‐15 plugs. Both pair of socket are fed internally by the same supply.
A more recent and fairly common version of this type is the T-slot socket, in which the locations of the tandem and the parallel slots were combined to create T-shaped slots. This version also accepts normal parallel NEMA 1‐15 plugs and also tandem NEMA 2‐15 plugs. Incidentally, a NEMA 5‐20 (125 V, 20 A), a NEMA 6-15 (250 V, 15 A) or 6‐20 (250 V, 20 A) plug with a missing earth pin would fit this socket. This type has been unavailable in retail shops since the **1960s but still available from the manufacturer Leviton (model 5000-I) not for new installation. **

Reference please. How far from the floor are the receptacles required to be?

What type of appliance would need this type of 4 prong plug?

It’s not a four prong, it’s a combination of various two prong so only one outlet is necessary to accomodate them all.

thank you…you saved me from another rant. :wink:

In Canada they are at about 12 inches as the standard today. They also can be installed on the floor with proper covers. However when changing this old tandem one on the baseboard it would be best to reinstalled one according to the current normal height requirements of your AHJ.

Got it!

So it’s another **opinion **and not a fact! :roll:

Yes if you want to put it that way! I find it a safety issue being too close to the rug. However you could just tell them to upgrade to a GFCI. breaker and hope it works all the time. I also have seen the results of electrical fires close to rugs. Again I did not say anyone needs to follow any law by Kevin but common sense would make me think most Clients would want to know what to do.

If having receptacles too low is such a hazard I don’t know why the NEC is silent on a minimum mounting height. It certainly addresses issue like needing a breaker lockout for a DW that may get changed or worked on once every few years. Surely the everyday use of receptacles poses a greater hazard.

Whose common sense?

According to what standards/code would the AHJ require this?

I think what people have issues with is that you keep coming up with “rules” that are not supported by anything.
Can an AHJ decide to interpret the code as he pleases? Sure, but at least, he is interpreting from something written.

Every time someone asks you to give proof of what you are saying you don’t or can’t.
Can you interpret the code as you please? Sure except that your interpretation has no weight for two reasons.
1- you have no authority as a home inspector
2- you make up your own code that does not exist and then interpret that imagery code or today’s standards as you call it.

I’m not trying to be ugly here, but the misinformation purported by someone who is supposed to be a Master at inspecting is getting old and you refusing to acknowledge it, even older.

If you would only post the references from which you are getting your information, this would all go away.

Thank you Will. Well said.

I also find it ironic how one person has seen all this wiring disasters and eminent hazards on a regular basis vs other inspectors or people in the trade.

I think we all know the real answer to that, Jim…

Seems to me that if this was a legitimate concern, AFCI’s would be the proper requirement/suggestion, not GFCI’s.

You do know the difference between them, right?

And no, I won’t explain it to you. You can do your own research so you will learn from it.

(Just following your example)!

:roll:

Reference to what? Rules to what?You are talking about an old outlet that needs to be updated. If I point out what is needed to my Client according to today’s standards is my own business as a Master Inspector. I do not enforce anyone to follow the advice and they can decide to do it or not. I don’t need to give you guys references just because you feel I need too. I did not say anyone needs to say to do this to their Client of what I would recommend, but if you think you can make me deviate you would be sadly mistaken.
The reference I would use would be usually 12" as approx and it would come from Rules 26-700 but I would not put this in my report as it can be any height you want.