Outside conduit question

I have seen conduit , basicly right on the sidewalk and wonder if there is a NEC code for this situation.

Common sense says it is wrong,but…

[ATTACH]DSC01545 (Small).JPG[/ATTACH]

DSC01546 (Small).JPG

The only thing I would question is burying EMT. I suppose some places may be dry enough that the electrogalvanizing would provide sufficient protection but here it will just be a red trail of dust with wire in it in a few years.
The only other issue would be if you said this was subject to “severe” physical damage. That is always a judgement call

Thanks , but I need the verbage.

We shovel alot of snow , so physical damage would be a gimme.

That looks to me like the conduit coming out on the right is rigid gal and the left is EMT. I could be wrong.

This is not uncommon and sometimes there is no other way.

IF, and only if, the conduit going underground is EMT that would be the only issue I see.

So placement ,where physical damage is likely to occur is not a code problem?

Pete, that sure looks like an EMT connector in the back of the LB to me.

It is really hard to find precise verbage in the NEC about the definition of “physical damage” (OK for EMT) vs “severe physical damage” (not OK). It is just a judgement call.

The same is true about the corrosion issue. The handbook recomends supplimental protection for buried EMT but it is not really codified.
Personally I wouldn’t bury any metal wiring method but that may just be a Florida thing.

As a home inspector you can express your concerns and let the buyer make their own decision.

Maybe, but that right conduit sure does look larger to me, and the compression connectors are definitely different.

From what I recall it was liquid tight type connectors but the other side may have been EMT.

The junction is for sure watertight.

I had to move on, at this Condo Inspection and barely made the roof by night fall.

I will try to upload later, but I think it may have followed the front to an exterior light on the other side front above side entrance.

The conduit emerging from the ground does appear to be Heavy wall and they might be using a threadless compression connector at the LB. The conduit in the ground should have been bent 90deg at the side walk and buried to the depth specified in your area, usually 24" if buried with out concrete or asphalt covering it. The pipe is the the protection from physical damage. determining the depth the conduit is buried is outside the SOP

Thanks, I guess seeing it on the walk bothered me, so I will just leave it alone.

This was the least of the problems.

Rightfully so. It could easily have been routed higher up on the wall and been kept away from snow shovels and rock salt, and all that other bad winter stuff. :cool:
Perhaps it could be protected with a little berm of concrete like you’d see in a crawlspace? But you can’t conceal that elbow, can you? It’s a shabby bit of work alright.

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

Does that elbow qualify as a junction box?

I know junction boxes must remain exposed.

OK, bury it. You wouldn’t be able to pull new conductors through is all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep
Right you are ,and good point.

It has been a while since I ran any, but I seem to recall you can squeeze a few wire caps in those things