panel height

I had this question posed to me from a person using “findaninspector.us

“I am trying to find an answer to the height of which a breaker box is to be mounted. It has passed inspection twice but had an electrician over for another issue which ended up not being anything but told me my box was mounted to low on the wall for code offered to move it for 6-700 dollars…I’ve never heard of a code for that only one that it can’t be over 6’ 7”. So could you trek me is there a code for how far from the floor it must be?"

Your main shut off should be at six feet above the floor.

Unfortunately there is no minimum. The panel could be at the floor is how I read the code.

"2009 IRC E3405.2 Working clearances for energized equipment and panelboards. …The work space shall be clear and shall extend from the floor or platform to a height of 6.5 feet (1981 mm)…

E3405.5 Access and entrance to working space. Access shall be provided to the required working space.

Commentary: The minimum working space is defined, but access dimensions such as the specific dimensions of a door or entrance to the working space are not given. The access to the working space must be sufficient.

E3405.7 Headroom. The minimum headroom for working spaces for service equipment and panelboards shall be 6.5 feet (1981 mm)."

Was it a mobile home or outside?..otherwise, no minimum.

You are correct, the height can not be more than 6 feet 7 inches to the middle of the grip handle for the disconnect (breaker) but there is no min. heigth for a panel unless it is a mobile home and then the botton of the panel must be 24 inches off finish grade.

In a house or other than mobile home the panel can sit on the floor if one so desired.

Here is one for you guys! No minimum but how would you like to read this meter.:smiley:

406 Wallace Terrace May 31 2012 005.JPG

406 Wallace Terrace May 31 2012 006.JPG

They don’t until you move out, or something else triggers a manual read. It looks to be Bluetooth enabled based upon the newer meters I see in my area.

They don’t until you move out, or something else triggers a manual read. It looks to be Bluetooth enabled based upon the newer meters I see in my area.

The dimension is 6.5’ minimum. That is a clear space measurement. The measurement is not to the disconnect (some panels do not have a main disconnect). I can find nothing that specifies either a minimum or maximum for location of the panel itself, but it must be readily accessible.

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/irc/2009/images/ICODA2009061607463103641.jpg

For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm.

a. Equipment, piping and ducts foreign to the electrical installation shall not be placed in the shaded areas extending from the floor to a height of 6 feet above the panelboard enclosure, or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower.

b. The working space shall be clear and unobstructed from the floor to a height of 6.5 feet.

c. The working space shall not be designated for storage.

d. Panelboards, service equipment and similar enclosures shall not be located in bathrooms, toilet rooms, clothes closets or over the steps of a stairway.

e. Such work spaces shall be provided with artificial lighting where located indoors.

Joe F, Mike was pointing out the maximum height of the center of the handle on the breaker. You are showing workspace requirements. Two entirely different things.

The height of the disconnect is so that it can reached by a person of average height and no ladder is needed. The workspace is to ensure that a person has access to the panel and room to work safely within that space.

Exactly Jim.

Two meters is the standard for the maximum hight of the center of the disconnect handle.

Where is the code that specifies that?

That must be a Canadian thing.

Article 100 NEC Readily accessible.

Over 2 meters requires a ladder unless your name is Will :wink:

I can see clearly now. Thanks. However, there is no stated maximum or minimum, as I stated before.

“ACCESSIBLE,READILY. Capable of being reached quickly
for operation, renewal or inspections, without requiring those
to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove
obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, etc.”

“2009 IRC E3601.6.2 Service disconnect location. The service disconnecting
means shall be installed at a readily accessible location
either outside of a building or inside nearest the point of
entrance of the service conductors. Service disconnecting
means shall not be installed in bathrooms. Each occupant shall
have access to the disconnect serving the dwelling unit in
which they reside.”

Agreed. no minimum

Put is sideways near the floor for all I care :wink:

2 meters(79") is called out specifically in other NEC based standards.

Maybe I misunderstood Greg. It can be lower than six feet.

Is 2 meters “readily accessible” to someone in a wheelchair or a midget? #-o

**240.24 Location in or on Premises. **
(A) Accessibility. Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible and shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform, unless one of the following applies:
(1) For busways, as provided in 368.17(C)](http://code.necplus.org/document.php?field=jd&value=necss:70-2008:id01007020668#70-2008:id01007020668).
(2) For supplementary overcurrent protection, as described in 240.10](http://code.necplus.org/document.php?field=jd&value=necss:70-2008:id01007002119#70-2008:id01007002119).
(3) For overcurrent devices, as described in 225.40](http://code.necplus.org/document.php?field=jd&value=necss:70-2008:id01007001678#70-2008:id01007001678) and 230.92](http://code.necplus.org/document.php?field=jd&value=necss:70-2008:id01007001970#70-2008:id01007001970).
(4) For overcurrent devices adjacent to utilization equipment that they supply, access shall be permitted to be by portable means

**404.8 Accessibility and Grouping. **
(A) Location. All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. They shall be installed such that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform.

It is for “normal people” 5-8" I think. :shock: