Panel help needed

I need some help with this panel. It has 100 amp main wires.
Is this a 100 amp panel or 60 amps?

Also the wires that are double tapped at the top lugs. Can you explain to me if this is improper and why.

I am not thinking so clearly at this time as I am batteling a sinus infection. I need you to do my thinking. AAAACCCCCHHHHOOOOO.

Thanks

Dave

70706 Garfield Heights 015 (Small).jpg

70706 Garfield Heights 016 (Small).jpg

It looks like a split bus fed from two fuse blocks. Service “capacity” would be 100 amps if that’s how the SEC was sized.

The double tap is wrong for two (if not more) reasons. 1) The lugs must be listed for multiple conductors and 2) assuming one set is the feeder, the other set (load side) would not be afforded over-current protection.

Take two Tylenol and reply in the morning :wink:

OK…this is the bad thing about Fuse Panels…while the Capacity is 100A as defined by the SEC…the enclosure rating and the fuse size also need to be taken into account.

We could have 4/0 AL running to a panel…and we know it has a capacity of 200A…but if the panel is only rated for 100A and the main fuses are 100A…it’s rating is 100A…

Just for arguement sake…if the fuses were 60A…the panel service would be 60A regardless of the SEC conductors size…

AS Jeff said…chances here because of the split nature the panel is more than likely a 100A…However, it most certainly would not harm you to place a disclaimer on your report of the above and the fact you are not pulling the main block…words of wisdom…better safe than sorry…:slight_smile:

Welcome to the DOWN side of fuse panels…

Paul & Jeff

Sniff, sniff, AAAACCCCHHOOO excuse me.

I didnt pull the fuse block as it was an occupied house. I could see that the fuse was 60 amps. This is what confuses me.

Is it 60 Because of the fuse size or is it 100 because of the split bus with the stove pull out. The meter & SEC are 100 amps.

ThaAAAAAAAAACCCCCHHHHOOOnks

Dave

I like the commennt about the tylenol.

Last week it rained almost the entire week & I got soaked and sick.

David,

I will venture to say you call it a 100A panel, the sum of the range and main pullout does not exceed the rating of the SEC…so it will be fine.

Since removal of the main does not disturb the function of the range in this case…you would be cummulative…it is 100A Panel…just for kicks however…note the rating of the panel from the label as well…

Also…an argument could be made that it is a 60/40 Split Buss Panel…60A Main with 40A Dedicated…still the SEC is sized to accomodate the situation.

Personally again…in this case since NO sub is involved and all resides in the same panel enclosure…I would call it a 100A panel…

I am sure others will disagree…:slight_smile:

I have an almost identical panel in my home. On mine, the top pullout controls all 8 branch circuits, as well as the subfeeds (which on the pictured panel are the double tapped lugs on either side of the top of the upper cartridge fuse block). The lower pullout is dedicated to the range and controls only the lugs on either side of the bottom of the lower cartridge fuse block. On mine, though, the subfeed is in a different location. Mine is stamped with a rating of 125A, and has 2 ga. AL feeders, with 60A fuses in the top block and 40A in the range block. Would that be considered 100A service?

Michael,

The rating of the panel could be 200A and it would not have an effect on the service size in this case.

The 2AWG AL is rated for 100A, the combined potential on the system is 100A ( protected )…in my opinion you have a 100A service.

Again their are some that say it is a 60A service with a dedicated 40A pull out…BUT i appeal to the fact it has a combined service rating of 100A which is acceptacle to the SEC sizing.

I will state however in that to HI’s reading…100% of the time I would suggest a note in the report that this panel is undersized for todays appliances and will not allow room for expansion.

Yes, 100 is the Minimum allowed…however having 8 fuses is not very ADAPTABLE for future needs…just some FYI

Split buss panels were popular in the 50’s because of cost, they figured why have a 100A main breaker when they can use a 60 to service the 120V loads and (1) 40 to handle the range loads.

The intent of this panel is to still maintain the rating of the panel listing, work around the 6 disconnect and less issue and stil maintain the sec rating of the 100A conductor…

The good news is they dont make Split Buss for residential anymore…

GERRY bought up a GREAT point…in the electrical field we deal in the capacity in terms with split busses…but what is important to note is as Gerry so well stated to me…someone may think they can place a 100A fuse in the panel…thus making the main pull out 100A and the range 40…exceeding the 1.) Rating of the panel and 2.) Rating of the wire…

SO…as stated…when I said MANY list it as 60/40 panels and DEFINE the MAIN and Range differently on the report with a TRUE combined capacity of 100A…man I hope that did not confuse anyone…

Thanks Gerry…had to remember to put on the HI hat versus what we view it as…always great to bring me back to HI reality…

You just NEVER know I guess what someone will JAM into a panel…

Anyone heard of the old Penny behind the fuse trick…well just so you know…People ACTUALLY do it…seen it with my own eyes…:slight_smile:

Whats a pennies fuse rating…?

Here is what I would put…

• 100A Capacity Service with a 60A/40A Split Buss Design. The panel is not adequate for expansion and future needs. The main pullout is 60A and the dedicated Range pullout is 40A.

Hows that one for ya…:slight_smile:

Much easier on circuit breaker split busses…you dont have to worry nearly as much about them putting in an oversized fuse…:slight_smile:

OMG…I just had this image of the Home Owner in my head…

They go down to their 60A Main Pullout…and remove it…now they decide they would like to make it a 100A pullout…

They RUN to the Lowes and notice…DANG…all fuses over 70A have cartridge fuse with KNIFE ends…DANG that wont fit…RATS the fuse is too large anyway to fit into the 60A pullout…DRATS…

anyway…I don’t worry too much about them trying to put a 100A cartridge fuse in a 60A pullout…wont fit…BUT the thought of a home owner buying a use and taking a hack saw to the ENDS of the cartridge fuse just gave me the willies…

I think Gerry has a picture of someone who probably tried that and said…OH SCREW that…where is my 1/2" Rigid Nipple…amazing what you have to worry about a home owner doing…

Sorry…I seem to be talking to myself in the last few posts…oh well…