Procedural Inspection Checklist

for inspecting an electrical panel. The checklist was developed from http://www.nachi.tv/ppv/3.

Every item in the list appears as a defect or comment in the inspection that Nick and Joe T. perform in the 21 minute video.

INSPECTION PROCEDURAL CHECKLIST
Electrical panel

• Follow InterNACHI Standards of Practice
• Wear personal safety protection, including glasses and gloves
• Report location of the electrical panel
• Check adequate workspace
• Panel must be readily accessible
• Use proper inspection tools, including magnet handle, insulated screwdriver, and flashlight
• Check adequate illumination at workspace
• Inspect cabinet front cover
• Check for incorrect type of screws or missing screws at the cabinet front cover
• Measure height of main disconnect
• Inspect panelboard
• All disconnects must have specific identification
• Check for inspection stickers and dates
• Check for identified filler plates
• Identify all breakers in the “off” position
• Identify main overcurrent device
• Determine size of service
• Safe removal of cabinet front cover
• No foreign objects or contamination inside cabinet
• Check entrance conductors and lugs
• Identification of grounded conductor
• Check clamps, connectors, and bushings
• No open knockouts permitted
• Check for disconnected or loose conductors
• Inspect main bonding jumper
• Inspect main grounding electrode conductor (GEC)
• Check for doubled neutrals
• Check for doubled hot conductors
• Identify any breakers that are not permitted by manufacturer
• No white wires on breakers
• Test GFCIs and AFCIs
• No doorbell transformers inside cabinet
• Check for loose equipment grounding conductor (EGC)
• Check for ampacity or overfusing defects
• No melted conductor insulation
• No rust, corrosion, or water inside cabinet
• No gaps between cabinet and wallboard greater than 1/8 inch
• Check multiple cables in connectors
• Check for damage to wires
• Check for damage to insulation sheathing
• Inspect for exposed live wires
• Check identified handle ties
• Read the label on the cabinet front cover
• Identify product name and type of cabinet from label
• Confirm amps and volts are identified on label
• Inspect the panelboard diagram
• Count maximum number of poles from the diagram
• Confirm location of main bonding jumper
• Identify twin or ½ breakers
• In the subpanel, confirm that the EGC’s (equipment grounding conductors) are on a separate terminal bar that is bonded to the cabinet, and that the grounded conductors (neutrals) are isolated or floating from the cabinet
• Never leave panelboard exposed
• Replace cabinet cover correctly

That list still has “measure height of main disconnect”, which doesn’t mean a blessed thing.

Marc:

While at the front of the panelboard during our inspection, I mention the that the main overcurrent device is required to be readily accessible, and is to be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 6 ft 7 in. above the floor or working platform.

I think Ben was looking for comments, and suggestions for improvement and I am sure he can fix the words and mention the height.

Right, but no breaker is allowed to be over that height… not just the main. You could very easily have a panel installed with the main at the bottom, with the main at only 4 feet, and the top most installed branch breaker outside of the permitted limits. That’s all I’m saying.

Marc:

Do you have an image from a dwellling showing an example of the situation you describe that we could use?

I understand what you are saying, and I agree.

Marc:

Here’s a clip. The top of the main breaker here is much too high for sure. We discovered this during our inspection. :slight_smile:

Yes, that is cause for concern, but junior’s list only talks about the main. In reality, this same concern applies to any breaker in the panel; not just the main.

Like this?

IMG_3987small.jpg

Thank you, your picture illustrates what Marc was talking about, if the “main” was up high the branch circuit CB’s would be near the ceiling. :smiley:

It’s from today’s inspection. My client was from India. I don’t think he would be able to reach the breakers if they were installed in the upper portion of the panel.

Even if the main was relatively at a reasonable height, the top most breakers can easily be beyond the recommended 2 meter reach limit.

For these that don’t know; how about a separate section on inspecting the panels on manufactured homes (mobile homes/trailers) not modular homes.

Confirm that the equipment grounding conductors (EGC’s) are on a separate terminal bar that is bonded to the cabinet, and that the grounded conductors or neutrals are isolated and not bonded to the cabinet or to the EGC’s. Most states require a disconnect attached to or within 30 ft. of the home. Also 4 separate entrance conductors besides the 3 conductors you find in a typical panel there has to be one for the equipment grounding conductor, plus the grounded conductor run from main panel or the disconnect to a grounding rod. Panel also has to be bonded to the frame, if it has 2 sections or more all frames have to be bonded together and if it has a gas line it has to be bonded to the frame. Location of panel in some manufactured homes different than in most homes, places that you would write up in a typical home.

Marc, Joe or anyone; what have I miss or forgotten.

Gary