Proper distance between a washer drain pipe and 220 volt dryer connection

Can any tell me if there is a specific distance or recommended distance between the drain pipe and a 220 volt dryer plug. I was asked by a Real Estate Salesperson. I can not find it.

Rick

There is no requirement. . .

Rick:

Please be more specific. Is the 240 volt dryer supplied by a cord and plug connection, or is it wired directly, and if so with what type of wiring methods?

Is the washer drain entry above, or below the connection? A picture would be helpful here.

I agree with Mr Pope.:slight_smile:

I also agree with Mr. Pope. The overwhelming majority of dryer connections are going to the plug and cord which also aids in the disconnection of the unit as well and so on…yada…yada…yada.

My only concern really in your question is if the dryer is the old 3 prong or the newer requirement for the 4 prong. Even if the code does not directly speak on distances and we will assume that because of actual spacing the dryer plug is not under the drain area technically the concern could be in the flooding of the washer in that area and a metal casing of the dryer being energized due to a improper situation with the old style 3 wire setup as it is very easy for stray voltage to leak onto the case as they age.

So really that would be my only concern…that is assuming it is a plug and cord which is in about 99.9% of the homes since dryers are not something I would consider permanent…

That last post gave me a question???

Dryers: Are the recepticles required to be 4 prong recepticles in ALL new construction now? (In older homes should we be pointing 3 prong recepticles out as “Suggest upgradeing due to new codes and safety concerns.”

Stoves/Ranges: Are the recepticles required to be 4 prong recepticles in ALL new construction now? (In older homes should we be pointing 3 prong recepticles out as “Suggest upgradeing due to new codes and safety concerns.”

Upgrading could be expensive, not that safety isn’t of more concern then the expense.

Jason,

Yes, in all new construction the dryers and ranges are required to be of the 4 prong design. The safety concerns are the same as I listed above in which the case can become energized and present a hazzard.

Can you make them change it…surly not…but as a safety concern the NEC is the minimum standard and they felt it was a big enough issue to make the change in newer construction.

Sure you will get those old timers saying…well the 3 prong has worked for years…it is safe…well the leaning tower of PIZA is standing but I don’t want to live in it.

Is it expensive…well surly not as much as some obervation suggestions we make as HI’s but lets say you don’t atleast mention it and something happens…I could see Mr. Ferry having a field day with…" You should have made the owner aware of the potential hazzard "…in the end it is up to the home buyer or owner anyway to weigh the concerns.

Thank You for your quick response. I knew out here about 7 or so years ago I was told that they were requireing them in all rental homes, apt., etc. regardless of their age. I just didn’t know if the code required them in all new construction.

To answer the question about the drain and plug. I was asked this by a Real Estatesales person. I could not find anything in writing.
Senerio: Drain Opening is above the 240 outlet with a 1/2 inch space in between.
I could not find anything in writing about this. Common Sense is too close but code there is nothing in writing.

Rick

lol…AS I am sure Joe, Bob, Greg and myself will tell everyone many times…their is many things about the NEC that does not always make sense which is why in many cases it changes from year to year and in some cases reverts back to previous statements.

As someone once said…Aint the CODE fun…thehehe

Paul:

I agree with all posts here, and my point in my question to Rick was covered by your comments above concerning the water and the electrical system. I always asked nicely that the receptacles in the laundry area be installed above the water and drains.

I am aware of situations where the cause of damage by fire was because of this problem, in fact a proposal for a rule in 110-11? years ago resulted in some code rule (not sure where it is now) that supported the fire problem where a panelboard was located under a tub drain on the second floor.

I knew ya had it covered my man…Excellent post and I always like posts that get the person thinking…like looking at one aspect and forgetting the safety of another.

Thats what makes the NACHI boards so great…:slight_smile: It has electrical nerds like me, you , bob and greg and others feeding endless amounts of information and hoping many learn from it…Only in America Baby !

If only the other 9,000 NACHI members who are not using the message boards would log on to get some great information…:slight_smile:

Paul,
Being in the construction field for 25 yrs.and as a residential GC for 18 of those years I find these boards invaluable. When it came to the construction aspects , I am fine. Electrical,Hvac I relied on the expertise of others. Now as a HI , there is so much I don’t know . Thank you all for your insight.
Louis

Hey my friend…thats what i am here for…:slight_smile:

Nice job Joe, you da BRAIN :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mickey