The question asked on the new HI Study test here?

Question: How do you test a GFCI receptacle?

1. The push button on the GFCI receptacle

1. Ohm meter

2. GFCI testing device

3. Multimeter

Answer No. 1, was identified as being incorrect? Is there something being missed here? What is the correct answer?

http://www.ul.com/consumers/groundfault.html

Product Safety Tips:

GFCIs – A SMALL INVESTMENT, A BIG LIFESAVER
UL Recommends Regular Testing of GFCIs

December 20, 2003: Underwriters Laboratories periodically revises requirements in its Standards for Safety to harmonize with international requirements, address code and safety issues, and accommodate new product developments as applicable. UL has adopted new and revised requirements for Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters (GFCIs) that become effective January 1, 2003. Among others, these requirements include enhanced requirements for immunity to voltage surges, resistance to moisture and corrosion, reverse line-load miswiring, and resistance to environmental noise. Though products meeting these revised requirements will soon enter the marketplace, they are not required to have any special markings to distinguish them from models made prior to January 1, 2003. Models of GFCIs Listed by UL that were manufactured and labeled prior to January 1, 2003 still may appear in the marketplace after January 1, 2003, and until such time as old stocks of GFCIs become exhausted.

http://www.ul.com/consumers/imgs/gfci.jpg

Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) can help prevent electrocution inside and outside the home. GFCIs are an effective means of protecting against electrical shock, however, they must be tested regularly – UL recommends once a month – to verify they are working properly.
“Ground faults” are often the result of damaged appliance cords or consumers who use electrical products in wet environments, such as bathrooms or swimming pool decks. By installing GFCIs in every home in the United States, the U.S. Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that more than two-thirds of the approximately 300 electrocutions occurring each year could be prevented. The advantage of using GFCIs is that they detect even those amounts of electricity too small for your fuse or circuit breaker to activate and shut off the circuit.
Like all products, GFCIs can be damaged. GFCIs damaged by lightning or electrical surges may fail to provide adequate protection. A simple test once a month and after any violent thunderstorm should be conducted.
To properly test GFCI receptacles in your home:

• Push the “Reset” button located on the GFCI receptacle, first to assure normal GFCI operation.
  • Plug a nightlight (with an “ON/OFF” switch) or other product (such as a lamp) into the GFCI receptacle and turn the product “ON.”
  • Push the “Test” button located on the GFCI receptacle. The nightlight or other product should go “OFF.”
  • Push the “Reset” button, again. The light or other product should go “ON” again.
    If the light or other product remains “ON” when the “Test” button is pushed, the GFCI is not working properly or has been incorrectly installed (miswired). If your GFCI is not working properly, call a qualified, certified electrician who can assess the situation, rewire the GFCI if necessary or replace the device.
    “GFCIs are proven lifesavers, however, consumers need to take a few minutes each month to do this simple test. By taking action, you can help protect your family from the risk of electric shock,” says John Drengenberg, UL Consumer Affairs Manager.
    Several types of GFCIs may be installed in/around your home. Look for the UL Mark on GFCIs when purchasing them or when specifying the product to your electrician.
    Wall Receptacle GFCI – This type of GFCI – the most widely used – fits into a standard outlet and protects against ground faults whenever an electrical product is plugged into the outlet. Wall receptacle GFCIs are most often installed in kitchens, bath and laundry rooms, and out-of-doors where water and electricity are most likely to be in close proximity.
    Circuit Breaker GFCI – In homes equipped with circuit breakers, this type of GFCI may be installed in a panel box to give protection to selected circuits. Circuit breaker GFCIs should also be checked monthly. Keep in mind that the test will disconnect power to all lights and appliances on the circuit.
    Portable GFCI – A portable GFCI requires no special knowledge or equipment to install. One type contains the GFCI circuitry in a self-contained enclosure with plug blades in the back and receptacle slots in the front. It can then be plugged into a receptacle, and the electrical products are plugged into the GFCI. Another type of portable GFCI is an extension cord combined with a GFCI. It adds flexibility in using receptacles that are not protected by GFCIs. Portable GFCIs should only be used on a temporary basis and should be tested prior to every use.
    Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is an independent, not-for-profit product safety certification organization that has been testing products for more than a century. More than 16 billion products bearing the UL Mark enter the marketplace every year.
    http://www.ul.com/gifs/up.gif

Joe

I have been either using the test button on the GFCI or my testing device.

Is there a better way to test the GFCI’s and would AFCI’s be the same?

Thanks

Dave

Answer No. 1 was not identified in the link you provided as being incorrect Joe. :slight_smile:

Brian:

Opps, the link I meant was on the NACHI test page, not the link here.

I don’t remember what question number is was.

Look for it and maybe is is fixed now.

PS: Who writes these tests and who checks the answers for accuracy?

**Subject Matter Expert - SME

**The Subject Matter Expert is that individual who exhibits the highest level of expertise in performing a specialized job, task, or skill within the organization.

An SME might be a software engineer, a helpdesk support operative, an accounts manager, a scientific researcher: in short, anybody with in-depth knowledge of the subject you are attempting to document. You need to talk to SMEs in the research phase of a documentation project (to get your facts straight) and you need to involve them in the technical validation of your drafts (to make sure that your interpretation of information matches theirs).

Probably some “expert” or another Joe.:wink:

And spare us the 6 sigma, what are you now Dr. Demming?

Whats next x bar and r charts?

Oh God there is a name I haven’t heard in a while (Dr. Demming) In my past life I was sent to his seminars by a large Semiconductor Co. And are you wanting us to get in to Stats on this site? ( I was hoping to never see this crap again…:shock: :shock:

GFCI

I think 6 sigma went the way of the big corporations that expoused it’s merits. IBM took our 6 sigma hats away and gave us the MDQ hat (Market Driven Quality) The new “guru” was Sam Walton not Sony. The motto was don’t give the customer any more quality than they are willing to pay for.

procedures.

Brian:

I used the link above to identify a SME. In my training areas around the USA I am asked to satisfy the SME requirements.

I called this “SME” link to the attention of those here who may have understood the acronym during their professional careers.

I am not affiliated with the 6 sigma stuff. :wink:

I was evaluated during a recent seminar while in Pottstown, PA and that Utility company has sanctioned me as an SME, so now I can expect that future work assignments will be coming my way.

I will be interested in your evaluation of the seminar planned for your chapter sometime soon.

I was hoping to be there too, but have other business to attend too. :stuck_out_tongue:

have no idea who wrote the exam or the tests…actually did not know a “TEST” exam existed…lol

There was once an Admiral (his name escapes me now) who was introduced as an “expert on Russia and the Soviet Union” to which his first reply, once he got on the podium was, “There is no such thing as an expert, especially about Russia, only varying degrees of ignorance.”

Could the correct answer be GFCI testing device?
From what I remember, a GFCI can be installed in such a way that the test button will trip but still provide power to the circuit.
Where a GFCI testing device is independent of the intergrated circuit of the plug and gives more valid testing of the circuit.

I’m not 100% sure, but I remember reading something about this in testing procedures.

George,

If you pigtail the circuit downstream to the actual LINE side instead of the load side before you make the connection to the line inputs ( again via pigtail connection ahead of the actual connection )…the GFCI will trip but the down stream will remain live…However, if offers no protection to the circuit downstream…

Paul,

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

In the case of AFCIs the manufacturers and the testing labs say any external device is simply an indicator, not a tester and the only real test is the button.

• **Push the “Reset” button located on the GFCI receptacle, first to assure normal GFCI operation. **
  • **Plug a nightlight (with an “ON/OFF” switch) or other product (such as a lamp) into the GFCI receptacle and turn the product “ON.” **
  • **Push the “Test” button located on the GFCI receptacle. The nightlight or other product should go “OFF.” **
    *]Push the “Reset” button, again. The light or other product should go “ON” again.

Joe,

I think that exact process was in your original post if I am not mistaken.

Ive been taught that if you use your tester and what if you cant find all the tripped GFCI?
You may ruin someones meat in the freezer, and half to buy all those Omaha steaks.? Joe you can ridicule me but thats my take on it and its stated in my report how they are tested…

Huh? I repeat!! How can anyone argue with UL?

• **Push the “Reset” button located on the GFCI receptacle, first to assure normal GFCI operation. **
  • **Plug a nightlight (with an “ON/OFF” switch) or other product (such as a lamp) into the GFCI receptacle and turn the product “ON.” **
  • **Push the “Test” button located on the GFCI receptacle. The nightlight or other product should go “OFF.” **
  • **Push the “Reset” button, again. The light or other product should go “ON” again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: **