Question Regarding Panel

The 100 amp service conductor from the meter is connected at the fuse panel, which is still active. A new 100 amp panel was installed with a 100 amp main breaker. The service conductor for the new panel is connected directly to a “disconnect” at the fuse panel. Opinions, should the new panel be wired as a sub panel, or the new panel should be serviced directly from the meter? Of course, the fuse panel should have been removed. :slight_smile:

south 010.jpg

south 002.jpg

south 005.jpg

south 010.jpg

south 010.jpg

south 002.jpg

An auxillary ground bar kit should have been added to the breaker panel and the grounding conductors should have been moved to it.

I do not know why someone would not have installed the breaker panel right after the meter, unless it was just to save having to move the old circuits.

Yes, the breaker panel is a sub-panel. It was probalby installed that way because 1) the fused disconnect was available and b) they could do it without involving the PoCo.

If the breaker panel is a sub panel, it is wired incorrectly. The neutrals and grounds are terminated together.

Correct.

It should be written up as such.

While the Electrician is on-site, recommend multiple twisted grounds be placed onto a grounding bar.

Was there a metal “path way” (EMT conduit) back from the breaker panel to the main fused panel?

Maybe there is no effective metal path for ground and that in itself is a possible shock hazard. I see a cable feed to the “sub” panel with three wires but nothing from your pic on a panel to panel metal path connection. Armored cable?

Here is a more descriptive image, no armored conduit between panels. Another odd wiring job, the dryer circuit is supplied from the fused panel, with a disconnect in line between the panel and 220V receptacle.

southwick 082.jpg

It looks like they did not isolate the grounds and neutrals in the new breaker panel as it was stated in an earlier post.

Plus one has to question the " conductive path" back to fused panel. The fused panel has a copper wire “Ground” possible GEC at a buss (directly behind the taps over the pull block) where both service feed and “sub” panel feed wires connected. Yet at the “sub” panel the grounds and neutrals are not isolated from each other.

Possible stray current at the “ground” wire that will normally will have “no” current…

County ok’ed it then they can explain …

We need the Guru on this one…:smiley:

Ok…They key issue is if that panel on the right is a “remote distribution panel” and is limited by the fuses on the right side of the first panel. I believe it is limited and I believe the panel in that case on the right would be a remote distribution panel. If that were the case we would need seperation from the grounded conductors and grounding conductors. However, my biggest concern is the “grounded” conductor coming in from the meter is going to the case…so when return neutral current comes back to the panel lets say it will have to travel through the case to get to the grounded conductor and allow the electricity ( if you will ) travel back to the source…the problem is they are using the case for this function…which produces objectionable currents…and clearly is not allowed under the 2008 NEC but was it allow before…I believe not under the objectionable current requirement.

So while I can’t tell and I am not a fan of commenting on images ( even if I do often…I dont like it because my eyes are not as good as being their ) I believe their are enough issues in this panel to defer it and let the electrical contractor solve the issues.

Paul,
Thanks for the comments. Upon additional review, it seems that the new panel is connected to the original kitchen range disconnect at the fuse panel. It would have made much more sense to completely remove the original panel. The “local electrical inspector” approved the new panel as is, amazing! Yes, I did refer to an electrical contractor.

From the first 3 pics, is the new panel wired from the 2-15 Amp fuse block?

Linda
Providing that I actually understand the question I believe the new panel is supplied through the fused pull out for the range and the dryer disconnect is supplied from the feed through lugs on the Edison based six circuit fuse block.