Receptacle outlet under food waste disposer

I know receptacle outlets shall not be installed in a face-up position in the work surfaces or countertops. But wouldn’t/shouldn’t common sense include this clause for under the sink as well? Can this really be acceptable? I was told today by a local electrician that this was a perfectly good installation (GFCI protected of course…)

Nahhh… judging by that P-Trap, your photo is just upside down! :mwa-hah:

Although it may seem like a bad idea a face-up receptacle not in a countertop is code complaint.

The issues would be the lack of straps on the conduit and it also looks like a nail-on box was screwed to the cabinet which might be against its listing.

GFI protection is not even needed.

Thanks for the input guys.

There is no basis for calling that a defect. If the outlet were placed conventionally, it could still get wet beneath a sink. When it comes to electrical, I don’t make up my own code.

I like that liquid tight stuff and lets face it…they can easily move that thing around.
They have a couple drywall screws holding down that cool J box I’m sure.

Who said anything about making up ones own code?
For what it’s worth, I didn’t call it out as a defect, but I did question it and recommended to have it checked by the electrician who was going to come repair many other defects anyway.
The basis of my question is pure logic and common sense. I frequently find leaks at the kitchen sink drains and around the food waste disposer. Why would an outlet not be allow to be installed face up on a countertop, but it is OK to have it like that right under a sink, where also all sorts of other liquid bottles constantly leak in the cabinet. It makes no sense.
If the outlet were installed conventionally, there would be less risk of liquids pouring directly into it.

I am also surprised that it would not have to be GFCI protected as Jim mentioned. But that’s the beauty of this job, it can’t get old as there is always something new to learn :smiley:

That island vent looks a little short.

Code schmode in this case. If you look under most kitchen sinks they are loaded with liquid soaps, spray bottles full of liquids, floor cleaners and waxes, sponges and all sorts of other liquid items. Many of them are stacked on top of each other due to lack of room.

There is plenty enough wiring to move the receptacle and attach it to the side of the cabinet. It is a hazard and the clients should be informed as such. JMHO.

Nothing wrong with this and I have always said if you question something then by all means call it out

The overcurrent device will protect against anything such as this should there be a buildup of any conductive substance in the box but in most cases it will just leak out to the bottom of the cabinet.

With a little thought one can ascertain the reason why one wouldn’t want to take a wet rag and wipe over a receptacle as we would be doing when one is face up in a countertop.

I think we would all agree with this thinking but again we know that it is protected by overcurrent so not much to worry about

Being that no one will be interacting with the receptacle no need for GFCI protection.

If it’s not a defect, what did you want the electrician to “check”? If you think it needs replacement, say so without deferring to an electrician to “check”. The problem is you’re using your opinion rather than any model code. And an electrician may simply say “it’s OK” because technically it is.

Unless that box were glued into place with some type of adhesive on the outside it almost certainly violates this :

Thanks for posting this. Good to know because I sometimes see retrofit plastic boxes installed from the inside of the box with drywall screws.

Would insulation tape over the screws satisfy the requirement?

Can you post here exactly how you would report it please.

If installed so as the only exposed part is the screw head then it should be fine. Not saying compliant but nothing that would be dangerous.

On a side note here is what is said in 314.23(B) for boxes and screws
(1) Nails and Screws. Nails and screws, where used as a fastening means, shall be attached by using brackets on the outside of the enclosure, or they shall pass through the interior within 6 mm (¼ in.) of the back or ends of the enclosure.
Screws shall not be permitted to pass through the box unless exposed threads in the box are protected using approved means to avoid abrasion of conductor insulation.

There are non-metallic boxes that are designed with screws on the inside for mounting

screw inside box.jpg

This job is about folks hiring us for our opinion on the home. Even though items are within code, we are still allowed to make recommendations on conditions if we like. It isn’t about code, per se. We say all the time we’re not code inspectors, and were not. Just be careful if you are making a suggestion, rather than saying its wrong, if it isn’t wrong, that’s all.

Examples:

Ive suggested installing a rail on a deck, while stating it isn’t required. I don’t list it as a defect in my report either, simply a note.

I suggest installation of a rain cap on chimneys, they are not required to have them. Rainwater can enter rusting exhaust ducts.

I might comment on this receptacle too. Its is allowed to be there, however you may consider relocating it to the side of the cabinet rather than allowing it to remain directly under plumbing. No big deal.

I comment if I determine that the roof has multiple layers, just as information on the home, 2 layers are permitted here. Heck three were allowed until a few years back.

I comment on vines growing up the side of the home, even if they haven’t damaged anything yet, just a home maint. tip. I recommend they be removed as they make great entry ways for pests and can eventually damage the exterior.

That makes sense Mike. So what exactly would you put in your report?

Thanks for that clarification.

nothing .