Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Electrical Inspections Contains discussions about electrical systems. This includes receptacles, panels, wiring, etc.

Old 7/15/12, 8:16 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: What would you say on your report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgraham View Post
Christopher,
I like you are very warm at this point

from #14
to a sub panel but not really a sub panel. This is because it is attached by a conduit so it cant be considered a (sub) but more like an extension if it were a sub panel then it could not be bonded with the main..
I am learning.

CMI 2004-2017 Retired

Awards Committee Member
U.S. Member of the Year Winner 2009
45 Years Residential/Commercial Builder
Submit your AWARDS NOMINATIONS here
The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers and any rules updates.
Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 7/15/12, 8:29 AM
Banned

Please Note: kwood is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

So one thing that is less apparent is the neutral is smaller then the the original.
Now it is time for Mr.Whitt or Paul to step in.
Old 7/15/12, 8:52 AM
Unmoderated Guest

Please Note: Jim Port is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

The neutral can be smaller than the hots, even in a service panel.
Old 7/15/12, 8:59 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The neutral can be smaller than the hots, even in a service panel.
I think he is referring to the two different sized neutral conductors in the double tap.

Just seemed appropriate.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

"We Respect Our Clients Right to Privacy"

Old 7/15/12, 9:03 AM
Banned

Please Note: kwood is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Correct
Old 7/15/12, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwood View Post
Right beside it is the main service disconnect and it could not be opened. 2 hots and one neutral are running to the Square D panel running to another Square D panel so in reality you have a 3 tap lugs to a sub panel but not really a sub panel. This is because it is attached by a conduit so it cant be considered a (sub) but more like an extension if it were a sub panel then it could not be bonded with the main.
Your description of the components is completely inaccurate, along with pretty much everything in the above statement.

The only real problem is the "multiple conductors under lugs rated for single conductors." HINT - that's how it should be stated in your report.

Quote:
Very good Jim.
The appropriate response would have been "Thank you, Jim." He knows the right answer, so being gracious, rather than patronizing could possibly provoke some goodwill.

IF YOUR INSPECTOR IS NOT USING THERMAL IMAGING, YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE WHOLE PICTURE «

Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
(661) 212-0738
Los Angeles, Santa Clarita & Antelope Valley CA
Old 7/15/12, 9:18 AM
Banned

I don't think any of us could get all the terms right including you Jeffrey.
That being said the MB is for the general public also and coming down to there level is what is needed.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/glossary/def....mvp/terms/all
Old 7/15/12, 9:29 AM
Unmoderated Guest

Please Note: Jim Port is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I disagree with dumbing down and using the incorrect terminology. The codes are a technical document and using the wrong term can have unexpected results. Kind of like your outlets in closets thread. As I said there, the NEC defines outlets as any point on the system where current is used. The NEC, and I would think the CEC, would define things in a similar manner, would include lighting and smoke alarms as a outlet. Your post was dealing with receptacle outlets. By saying outlets are not allowed you would not be able to have lighting in a closet. Quite different than receptacle outlets.
Old 7/15/12, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpope View Post
Your description of the components is completely inaccurate, along with pretty much everything in the above statement.

The only real problem is the "multiple conductors under lugs rated for single conductors." HINT - that's how it should be stated in your report.

The appropriate response would have been "Thank you, Jim." He knows the right answer, so being gracious, rather than patronizing could possibly provoke some goodwill.
Good Morning Jeff.
Too early for you to get all wired up.

CMI 2004-2017 Retired

Awards Committee Member
U.S. Member of the Year Winner 2009
45 Years Residential/Commercial Builder
Submit your AWARDS NOMINATIONS here
The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers and any rules updates.
Old 7/15/12, 9:30 AM

Quote:
I don't think any of us could get all the terms right including you Jeffrey.
I'm not referring to "terms," I'm referring to your description of the components.

In your pictures, you have a service panel and two distribution (sub) panels. If you don't know the difference, it is impossible to make an accurate assessment of the conditions that exist.

This statement...
Quote:
This is because it is attached by a conduit so it cant be considered a (sub) but more like an extension if it were a sub panel then it could not be bonded with the main.
... makes it apparent that you don't know the difference.

If you want help with something, all you need to do is ask. Stop posting as if you have all the answers and are going to "quiz" the rest of us.

Good morning Marcel

IF YOUR INSPECTOR IS NOT USING THERMAL IMAGING, YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE WHOLE PICTURE «

Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
(661) 212-0738
Los Angeles, Santa Clarita & Antelope Valley CA
Old 7/15/12, 9:40 AM
Banned

I already did know and I am glad it brought you back. You are very smart and needed on this MB. What you fail to do is make things simple enough for people to understand. I wish you would. However to mention codes is not what I mean. Anyone can do this by having the PDF reading system.
As for Terms yes you are very good.
To attack is not the way to teach and everyone needs to now that you can destroy an associations credibility quickly by this type of action.

Last edited by kwood; 7/15/12 at 10:13 AM..
Old 7/15/12, 9:56 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Kevin if you think simplified something for anyone to understand you are sadly mistaken. I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. If anything, you made me more confused. I read just about every post on this board and the only thing I see that would destroy our credibility is you. You posted this thread as if you had all the answers but I don't think your understanding of the situation goes any further than those you were trying to "teach". The only difference is, we are willing to learn.

Juan Jimenez
A House on a Rock Home Inspections LLC
God. Family. Home.
804-269-4321
Richmond Home Inspector
Richmond Chimney Sweep
Richmond Radon Testing

Old 7/15/12, 10:00 AM
Banned

No Juan but I wish everyone would think before they respond on the public MB.
We have lost so much credibility not because of simplifying but bully attacks.
Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 7/15/12, 10:02 AM
Unmoderated Guest

It might help to know to whom your posts are directed to. If it was directed to me I will not play your little games with the chicken little or what if's. I will justify my answers using what is allowed or not based on the codes that I am held to installing to. There was no personal agenda against you, just refuting statements you have posted that were incorrect.

Holding a title of CMI and asking these basic questions and using the wrong terminolgy or such a poor understanding one of a homes major infrastructure systems does nothing to add any credibility to that title or the HI industry.
Old 7/15/12, 10:03 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Kevin,
You don't seem to realize that some are trying to help, albeit talking to a brick wall. If you had to go to court with the statements you posted, the attorneys would have a field day with you. just saying.

Bungalows to Mansions
Professional Inspection Services, LLC

Bruce M. Graham III, CMI

Gainesville, FL 32608
352 871 8989

Florida Licensed Home Inspector #HI10
CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR
Certified Level II Infrared Thermographer
Radon Measurment Technician # R2279
NACHI05091592
ICC 5268478
www.BungalowstoMansions.com