What would you say on your report?

The is a SQUARE D main that has a sub panel tapped off the main service wire lugs.

74 Thorneloe Cres July 13 2012 099.JPG

74 Thorneloe Cres July 13 2012 101.JPG

Maybe nothing. Depends.

Kevin, as a Certified Master Inspector, please share with me how you responded to that based on all your experience and teachings that you do.
I am a little weak on the electrical portion of inspections. :slight_smile:

So am I but I did now what to say!

Do you have photos of entire panels, or only these close-up shots?

Are you saying you knew what to say?
Please, tell me what that was. Like I said, I am a little rusty on this subject. :slight_smile:

Coming up

74 Thorneloe Cres July 13 2012 102.JPG

74 Thorneloe Cres July 13 2012 098.JPG

Well, I see pictures of the same panel Kevin, but how did you report something like that.?

Curious, I am a little weak on this stuff. What did you say in your report?

I am still learning, so what you tell me, might make a difference in my reports also on this type of defect if that is what it is.

Is it a defect?:slight_smile:

Before I give my professional opinion, I have a question.

Is this another dumb Blonde joke?

No there is still another problem that has not been pointed out yet.
Any takers.
I will let you think about it and catch you in the morning.

How did you determine that the panel on the bottom is a “sub” panel?
What makes you believe that the panel in your picture is the “main” panel and not a “sub” panel?
What do you call the panel beneath the meter, where the service disconnect is located?
Why do you imply that this entire set up is not ALL part of the service equipment?

Edit to add;

BTW - this is a test. I urge everyone to allow Kevin the first opportunity to respond. :smiley:

WRONG.

Now tell me why.

Right beside it is the main service disconnect and it could not be opened. 2 hots and one neutral are running to the Square D panel running to another Square D panel so in reality you have a 3 tap lugs to a sub panel but not really a sub panel. This is because it is attached by a conduit so it cant be considered a (sub) but more like an extension if it were a sub panel then it could not be bonded with the main.
Very good Jim.
Now how would you report this! Without confusion to your client?
Like I have already admitted I have weakness in understanding why this would be done. I make only general comments when it come to panels and really would like to know what to say when faced with this situation.

Christopher,
I think you are very warm at this point:D

from #14
to a sub panel but not really a sub panel. This is because it is attached by a conduit so it cant be considered a (sub) but more like an extension if it were a sub panel then it could not be bonded with the main…

I am learning. ;):mrgreen:

So one thing that is less apparent is the neutral is smaller then the the original.
Now it is time for Mr.Whitt or Paul to step in.

The neutral can be smaller than the hots, even in a service panel.

I think he is referring to the two different sized neutral conductors in the double tap.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f19/56942d1342318473t-would-you-say-your-report-74-thorneloe-cres-july-13-2012-101.jpg

Just seemed appropriate.

Correct