S.......e........c

I never saw this before. The drop attaches to the house and then the sec runs for 8 feet or so before entering the weatherhead. I can’t find any info on this, but I feel that (at least) it should be protected in conduit. Any thoughts?

sec.JPG

No violation that I can figure, but a little odd. I’m pretty sure I know how and why this happened.

That’s a fun game to play - “What Were They Thinking?” LOL

Do you agree that it should be in conduit?

Nope

I see bugs. Curious, is this an auxiliary building(garage, workshop)?

tom

Bugs??

No - it’s the main house.

Marc - if not in conduit - then secured every 30" and within 12" of the weatherhead as per 230-51(a).

Any other thoughts on this one???

I don’t know what was so hard about moving the damn ladder over and attaching it at the mast head area. Too late now.

LOL Dave - It probably was close to “quittin’ time” :smiley:

What utility allows for “Bugs” being perm. I’m smelling a service upgrade or meter moved without the work being completed. So this could be temp work till the utility gets about to cleaning it up. Ask the home owner, might just clear this up for you.

tom

P.S. After looking at the photo again, I don’t see a POA closer to the mast, so the utility would most likely walked away not extending their wires and cleaning it up. Ask the home owner if any work was done, if there was a permit, it might not be closed(there might be a job number on it too).

Tom your speaking electrician, can you translate? Does google have electrician to english translation?

Tom-

If by “bugs” you mean the ceramic point of attachment - they are quite common in this area. The service was upgraded two years ago according to the seller. The “bug” by the way was quite loose.

bug.JPG

Bugs are lugs. Lugs are split bolt connectors. Often you can use them without problems on your own wiring. Say your home to an garage in an over head, but many utilities frown on them being connected permanently to their wires. The corrode, require proper torquing, and who can trust a residential electrician, defenantly not a lineman. :wink:

So the photo appears that temp work has been done, the bugs. If the POA, the point of attachment is like far away from the current install, it might be possible there was a movement done, maybe for an upgrade, or something. Now the home electrician should have installed a POA closer to the mast so the utility can extend their wires, they like crimps not bugs, and move their wedge clamp to the new POA(that should be closer to the mast). It appears not all the work was done, both the home electrician and the utility. It might be the home elec didn’t finish, and the utility can’t move/extend the wires. So there might be a permit, or a job number with the utility to further verify this.

This is all guessing, but only a couple weeks ago I moved, and upgraded a service, so the photo looks like what I would do, to quickly give the home owner power, till I got back to finish the job. Installing a POA, and calling the inspector.

Just a big fat guess!!! Contact the home owner.

tom

P.S. I see a crimp on the bare conductor, that is proof, in my mind, the service was moved, and something isn’t complete. Check with the home owner, and utility.

Easy one

Yer outta there!

I would also be concerned with that phone line being between the point of attachment and the service head, even if they were within 24"

Bingo! - Thanks Greg - That’s what I was looking for. :smiley:

It definately would have been a better job if there was a 90 at the top closer to to point of attachment.

Thanks Greg. I learned something today.

I wasn’t even aware that the house connection must be within two feet of mast head.

AFCIs are like life jackets. They can save your life in some circumstances but I am not sure if carrying them in your car is justified. That is similar to the AFCI/aluminum connection. The most likely adversity will not be addressed.

Hmmmm… I don’t know if its that easy. The service head does appear to be above the point of attachment. I think we might be confusing some drip-loop requirements. Its not uncommon to see a long run of SE attached to a building with an ending- or multiple weather heads and drip loops. I thing the marginal thing here is the drip loop and adequacy of support-ie: bugs. I’m betting the vinyl siding installers took it upon themselves to do some exterminating.

When they say “above” they mean straight up, 24’ offset max from the point of attachment of the drop.