Service amperage and double taps

I am a bit frustrated here. Hope you all can help. This home was built in 1976 and this panel is not labeled and no brand name in sight. Double and triple tapped neutrals, and the service conductors come up through the floor. Mind you, I cant get into the crawlspace because its locked with no key. I dont know if this is a split bus panel (no disconnect) and I am guessing there are unknowns in the crawlspace. I was told by an engineer that after year 2000, double taps were not allowed but before that it was considered ok. I would still recommend an upgrade even if it was. Anyway, my question is, were double taps ok then, and I cant figure the service amperage. The service conductors look larger than the 200 amp I am used to.

The conductors look like #4/0 Al which would make this a 200 amp panel. It needs a main OCPD and two neutrals in a terminal like the one in the photo was never permitted.

I looked at every inch of His home and even went back a second time because it bothered me that bad in not finding the electrical meter. Where the hell is the meter? 60’s and 70’s homes are fun for me because I learn so much. The service entrance cables come up through the laundry floor but didn’t even see a meter in the crawl. I was hoping it wasn’t all the way under there anyway. I went back and inspected the crawl cause it was locked the first time.

sounds like.

Did you look out side for Meter and disconnect I have seen this 300 feet or more from the home and the feeds go underground to the home

Aside from the other things, what did this label say?

If you can’t find the electrical meter, sometimes it is helpful to ask the homeowner or neighbor…just a thought. :slight_smile:

That is a Square D split-bus. The 50A breaker controls the smaller branch circuits.

Could be a split bus, some better photo’s would help. Conductors on the 70 amp 2-pole seem rather small.

It has double lugged neutral (Grounded Conductor) and not allowed. It is a Square D panel.
The little label on the back of image 3 says Square D.

408.41 Grounded Conductor Terminations. Each grounded conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual terminal that is not also used for another conductor.

NACHI.jpg

Looks like a split bus to me.

After looking at that photo again I agree. :cool:

I started working in the electrical trade in the US Army in 1974 working under the 1971 NEC. Some of the jurisdictions where I worked were still enforcing the 1968 NEC. In any jurisdiction that I have worked in throughout my career, double taps have not been permitted.

Of course, I don’t know what jurisdiction your engineer is referring to. Maybe where he was before 2000 they were allowed. That’s the problem we have as home inspectors trying to be code inspectors. I NEVER cite codes. I give my opinion. Double taps can cause fires. That’s all I need to know.

My customers pay me for my opinion. Whether they choose to accept my or not is their choice. If they want go looking for an opinion that they would rather hear, that’s their choice too.