Service Drop Clearance Over Roof

Am I correct that this service drop is too close to the house roof? (I realize that the pictures aren’t showing this very well).

The service drop comes in over an addition and at the closest point, clears the roof by about 10". It continues over the addition, approximately 12’ in length, until it gets to the mast. At that point it is clearing the roof by about 24".

P1010021.JPG

P1010009.JPG

**230.24 Clearances. **Service-drop conductors shall not be
readily accessible and shall comply with 230.24(A) through
(D) for services not over 600 volts, nominal.

**(A) Above Roofs. **Conductors shall have a vertical clearance
of not less than 2.5 m (8 ft) above the roof surface.

The vertical clearance above the roof level shall be maintained
for a distance of not less than 900 mm (3 ft) in all
directions from the edge of the roof.

*Exception No. 1: The area above a roof surface subject to
pedestrian or vehicular traffýc shall have a vertical clearance
from the roof surface in accordance with the clearance
requirements of 230.24(B).

Exception No. 2: Where the voltage between conductors
does not exceed 300 and the roof has a slope of 100 mm
(4 in.) in 300 mm (12 in.), or greater, a reduction in clearance
to 900 mm (3 ft) shall be permitted.

Exception No. 3: Where the voltage between conductors
does not exceed 300, a reduction in clearance above only
the overhanging portion of the roof to not less than 450 mm
(18 in.) shall be permitted if (1) not more than 1.8 m (6 ft)
of service-drop conductors, 1.2 m (4 ft) horizontally, pass
above the roof overhang, and (2) they are terminated at a
through-the-roof raceway or approved support.
*FPN: See 230.28 for mast supports.

*Exception No. 4: The requirement for maintaining the vertical
clearance 900 mm (3 ft) from the edge of the roof shall
not apply to the final conductor span where the service
drop is attached to the side of a building.

Thanks Paul! So if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that I should quit being such a lazy dumb–s and read the damn book myself! :smiley:

Nope…I am saying…since it is easier to understand the NEC than my garbled messages…I would just post the code and the answer is within.

The vertical clearance above the roof level shall be maintained
for a distance of not less than 900 mm (3 ft) in all
directions from the edge of the roof.

Exception No. 4: The requirement for maintaining the vertical
clearance 900 mm (3 ft) from the edge of the roof shall
not apply to the fi****nal conductor span where the service
drop is attached to the side of a building.

If the clearance is over the house portion and the pitch is less than 4/12…AND if we are not talking about an overhang…meaning the service drop you are speaking of runs right across an open roof…it is wrong.

If we are talking about it just going over a small corner of it and the roof has a pitch that is as steep as a 4/12 or more…It can be reduced…likely no one would get near it to be involved with it.

Ok…How close is your MAST from he edge of the house Mark?

Would THIS apply to your example…I really can’t tell from the images

Exception No. 3: Where the voltage between conductors
does not exceed 300, a reduction in clearance above only
the overhanging portion of the roof to not less than 450 mm
(18 in.) shall be permitted if (1) not more than 1.8 m (6 ft)
of service-drop conductors, 1.2 m (4 ft) horizontally, pass
above the roof overhang, and (2) they are terminated at a
through-the-roof raceway or approved support.

Service drop conductors over roof, roof overhangs and separate structures on the same property seem to be “missed” during inspection processes. This is not just an NEC code, but also an NESC (utility) code as well. I have taken many photos of just what you have and many others as well.

The mast, itself, is on the side of the house, but the service drop does not go to the mast from that side of the house. It goes over an open roof on a newer addition for about 12’, in order to get to the mast. The mast location had been changed at some point in time, it appears about two years ago. It used to be on a different side of the house. I’m guessing that it was relocated to accommodate the new addition and/or because a deck was built under the service drop and the clearance to the deck would not have been adequate after the deck was built.

I’m also hypothesizing that perhaps the utility installed the service drop before the new addition was actually built and the contractor/homeowner built the addition under the service drop. It still should have been picked up though on a final inspection for the addition, if there was a final.

Anyway, I’ve noted it as wrong and in need of further evaluation and correction. Thanks Paul!

I have a similar question. I have a service drop to the home that goes over a porch roof. The roof is a low slope with windows that allow pedestrian walking. The service connection wraps around and is touching the gutter downspout. I am planning to call it out as a defect but trying to confirm first.

1 Like

Since this is utility company issue it’s probably not worth mentioning especially since it appears to have been that way for many years. The likelihood of the power company (POCO) coming and changing their drop are slim. POCO drops from the pole are outside of the purview of the NEC and are often not compliant with the clearances in the NEC.

NEC Article 90:
90.2(B)(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric
utility where such installations
a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associ‐
ated metering, or
b. Are on property owned or leased by the electric utility
for the purpose of communications, metering, gener‐
ation, control, transformation, transmission, energy
storage, or distribution of electric energy, or
c. Are located in legally established easements or rights-
of-way, or

4 Likes

Not unless you are properly trained and are doing code compliance inspections. Don’t join the legions of wannabe code inspectors who are contaminating a once respectable occupation. If you want to learn something relevant, learn how electricity and electrical systems work.

As the old saying goes, a little knowledge is dangerous. You wouldn’t build a building starting from the roof and working your way down to the foundation. Why would you build your education that way? Start with the foundation and work your way up.

@mlong posted this 13 years ago LOL

1 Like

Good advice George.
And that reminds me of an Industrial Arts teacher I had in my Senior year in high school. He start teaching us drafting by drawing perspective drawings of the interior of a room.
I said told him I start with the foundation first and that is what I did. I had foundation drawings done, floor plan, elevations, and when I started drawing perspective of the interior, the semester was over and he flunked me.
I had to go to the guidance counselor to battle it out to at least a passing grade.
The teacher new just about enough to be dangerous as you put it.
He did not like me much because I would answer the questions of my classmates like what is the height of a door etc… before he would have to look it up. LOL
I actually went in on my own a couple of years later designing FHA homes for about ten years. ICS courses on drafting and design, were a lot better than that teacher mind you.

1 Like

Here is a better question: do HI need to be electrical engineers to know the service drop should have certain clearances for safety? almost sounds like you’re saying HI should not be concerned with the clearances because they’re not performing a code inspection, what a sillyness! Inspecting the service drop is part of NY SOP! 197-5.9 (a)1. Service Drop

1 Like

He’s probably sitting in his truck parked in front of the house waiting for an answer. Meanwhile, the clients moved in, raised their kids, sent the kids off to college, sold the house, and moved to a retirement community.