Service Drop Dropped While at Inspection!!

The most bizarre thing happened today while I was inspecting a 34 year old house. Started my inspection, examined the exterior, including the service drop. The service drop didn’t have a mast, just attached to the fascia with a knob.

Went inside, finished up the interior and completed the inspection. As my client and I were leaving, we noticed that the service drop was now nearly at eye level as we walked out the sidewalk. It had pulled off of the house and was now drooped about a foot off of the driveway!! Nothing out of the ordinary had transpired to put any extra stress on the line, it just decided that it was now time to let go! Crazy, uh?

First photo is at start of inspection, next two are at conclusion of inspection.

P1010085.JPG

P1010085.JPG

P1010085.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010083.JPG

I never really liked to screw a house knob right into the fascia board like that. They always wallow out over time, and pull out like that. I use a “one point rack” and a very long bolt. The bolt is sufficiently long to get on the other side of the first rafter, and I put a big washer and nut on it. Allegheny will normally patch this up for free, but the knob is rightfully the customer’s responsibility in your area.

Mark,

That is really crazy, but don’t worry, you’ll get blamed for it some how…:smiley::stuck_out_tongue:

Unreal to say the least…:shock:

It’s been rainy and very windy all day here today. I’d blame it on the wind, because I’m sure that’s what the final straw was. I seriously doubt he rattles the service drop around during his inspection. I bumped one with my extension ladder once, and it dropped across a busy road. That was a little embarassing.

:smiley:

Marc,

I wouldn’t care if a Dust Storm went through while I was doing the inspection…:smiley: …My luck I would be blamed some how…:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I can hear it now…:smiley:

“So you were doing the inspection and the electric service was fine, you walked outside and it was on the ground.?”…:smiley: :smiley:

Now that is surely some REAL bad luck Mark L…:smiley:

I forgot to mention that I did swing on the service drop when I jumped off of the roof. Did a triple somersault and stuck my landing very nicely!! :smiley: :smiley: But that was earlier in the inspection and the service drop was still attached when I dismounted. That wouldn’t have had anything to do with it would it? :smiley: :smiley:

</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Need pictures of that landing before I’m buying anymore of this thread. :slight_smile:

Must be the week for these. Wait for that limb to go and the mast may go with it, that’s if the eave abrasion doesn’t come into play first.

That’s not the service drop! It’s a clothes line;-)

Barry,

Don’t they strip the branches off the trees before they use them for poles in Texas?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Will,

We’re not that backwoods, we have a few laundromats.

Bar of Soap
3615 Parry Ave
Dallas, TX 75226-2053
Phone: (214) 823-6617

http://images.citysearch.net/profile/16/9b/9612066p1.jpg

Specialties: Dive Bar
Hours: Daily 12pm-2am, laundromat: daily 12pm-12am
Editorial Review for Bar of Soap – by Amanda Howe

The Scene
Beat-up black-leather booths, a single worn pool table and a giant fan over the door conjure up comparisons to bad-guy hangouts and fly-specked border-town bars in every gun-toting outlaw movie ever made. But good-natured service and the friendliness of the other bar patrons make this Dallas institution a fun place to drink cheap beer and chat with local characters. The mural over the bar depicting art-deco Fair Park statues as re-envisioned pinups lends humor and color to an otherwise dingy decor. The room in back houses rows of washers and the bartender sells detergent.

The Draw
No cover and live local and touring bands on Friday and Saturday nights are incentives for fans of alternative and punk music to gather at this small and funky dive.
Editorial content is independent of paid advertisers. Any expenses are paid for by Citysearch. Insider TipsSave Money The liquid lunch from noon to 2pm everyday is a great deal, with 75-cent cold draft beer.When to Go

Every Sunday starting at 5pm, the broke and hungry will enjoy the free barbeque. Burgers, hot dogs, fajitas or chili are served, but you’re welcome to bring your own items for grilling.User Reviews for Bar of Soap

What Users are Saying
See a punk band, have a drink, do your laundry

http://images.citysearch.net/web/guide/images/guide07/5.0-stars.png

This place is AWESOME. One of the Dallas’ best kept secrets. A punk dive that features great live bands on the weekends. The “stage” is really just one corner of the bar so it’s about as close to a band as you can get without being in it. The back room has a bunch of laundry machines set up so you can actually be productive while you get drunk. There is also a large back yard area with picnic benches set up for quiet socializing if one is so inclined. Crowd is wildly eclectic and totally accepting. A great place to have a good time.
**Pros: **Cheap drinks, Atmosphere
**Cons: **Location
Lala’s Little Nugget
2207 Justin Ln
Austin, TX

Stripping the branches takes the fun/risk out of livin’ fast and dying young. You know how we are. Everything is bigger and better even our power poles. We are much greener than the rest of the country thinks :mrgreen:

besides, without the branches the dancers would never show up for work and the youngen’s would have nothing to climb :twisted: