Service Entrance Clearance

Any issues with this SEC near these stairs? I think it is OK because it is jacketed but it just caught my eye as something that doesn’t look correct. The service drop is high enough, no problems there. I was at the house dropping off a radon test. Anything I should look for going back?

If it’s in conduit that would be allowed here as long as the wire over head meets the clearance requirements there would be no issues.

It’s not in conduit, just the plastic jacket. here is another pic.

NEC 230.50 (B): Service-Entrance Cables. Service-entrance cables,
where subject to physical damage, shall be protected by any
of the following:
(1) Rigid metal conduit
(2) Intermediate metal conduit
(3) Schedule 80 PVC conduit
(4) Electrical metallic tubing
(5) Reinforced thermosetting resin conduit (RTRC)
(6) Other approved means

What you got there is SEU cable, which does not offer any serious physical protection.
Whether and how it should be protected in each given instance, is up to the AHJ.
Personally, I would call it out.
For instance, I can see where a leg of a couch being carried up these stairs can damage the cable.

Needs to be either in a PVC or ridgid pipe.
What is the vent below the meter?
And are there 2 grounds running to the gas meter?

Unless the SE cable is determined to be subject to physical damage it’s code compliant. The NEC does not define subject to physical damage so it’s a judgment call.

The NEC would not require conduit or a sleeve unless subject to physical damage. What was the clearance between the stair riser and the cable?

MR, why would the gas meter require two grounds? Is this a CEC requirement?

The steps look spooky .
Looks like a 50 deg angle or better .
And that hanger bracket …

No it looks like 2 grounds in the picture 1 from the meter and 1 from the water faucet if there are 2 grounds 1 has to be removed that was the reason for the question.
if the stairs & Railing are close to the wall and if you can touch that cable ( but don’t) then it is subject to physcal damage by persons and needs to be a proper assembly

Simply because the cable can be touched does not mean it is subject to damage.

That is a plumbing vent below the electric meter. Only one wire to the gas meter (from cable lines) the other wire I don’t know where it goes.
Again I was there dropping off radon test and took a few photos as I walked past so didn’t get a long look at the house.
Also do not know the clearance of the steps from the side of the house and SE.

*Yes, will look closely at steps.

Jim it is subject to damage in this way ,say you trip and fall on those stairs your reaction is to crab somthing to stop your fall, that cable will be ripped off the wall, (subject to physical damage) anyone can climb the stairs crab the cable and pull the whole thing off the wall.This is my view on (subject to physical damage) you will never get an exact definition of what it means from NEC.The local AHJ in the area has final say in the matter David should put the pics and question to them.

It appears to this inspector that the service cable is a safety issue.
We recommend further evaluation ect…ect…

QUOTE=Jim Port;1172059]Simply because the cable can be touched does not mean it is subject to damage.
[/QUOTE]

It tells me how close the stairs are to the cable and I made my decision to state that it does have. the possibility of potential physcal damage and also potential safety hazard to person and property.

If this was inspected as pictured when it was installed then the inspector must have felt it was not subject to physical damage otherwise it wouldn’t have passed. Since it’s a judgment call for him to make, which he did, it should not be reported as a defect.

Sorry Michael but I don’t see it that way. It would take much more than someone grabbing the cable if they were falling to rip multiple straps every 30 inches out of the wall and pull the cable down. I could say cables in the wall are subject to damage since someone might step on the gas and drive through the wall instead of backing out of the garage.