Service Mast

This house had a new electrical service installed. They used a gray pvc conduit for the service mast that extends above the roof line. You can see how the mast is leaning once the conductors from the road were connected. The power company installed the two guidewires after they saw how much it was leaning.

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

Even the power company forgot to fix the drip loop after they were done.
Looks weak and leaky to me.

I very often find corroded service lateral conduits beachside, in many cases exposing the cables; the power company (FPL) tells me they are the property and responsibility of the homeowner. My assumption is that the overhead service mast conduit is also the property and responsibility of the homeowner…anyone know for sure?

Wow, around here he POCO (power company) wouldn’t even connect to that mast. Most have a minimum requirement of 2" galvanized RMC, some even 2.5" minimum. The NEC is silent on the actual size and material used for a mast it just says that it must of “adequate strength” to support the drop. Also there is a likelihood that the drop is attached in such a way that it will in time damage the PVC conduit.

I see another problem was the service wires going over a working chimney?

I give it one year before there’s damage of some sort. Those guy wires, as installed, are basically useless.

That wouldn’t fly around here either.

If it is a working chimney, at that height, it isn’t working well.

Wow, Now that is absurd. This was done by a licensed electrical contractor? I would seriously question the credentials if it was.

lol…never seems to amaze me what people will do…lol…

You have got to be kidding me. LMAO . I can barely type this. Once again this proves the age old theory… Two wrongs don’t make it right. I’d fire the utility guys that hooked that up. Just plain stupid.

a training manual review wouldn’t hurt