Stove blocking outlet

Is there a rule for a outlet placed behind the range where it serves no purpose, or you can’t get to it. Other than just stupidity, is there any rule for no. I have been looking but my mind is mush at the end of the week. . Anyone know? thanks in advance. :smiley:

It might have been placed there for a gas stove. There is no NEC prohibition against it.

Receptacles are commonly blocked by refrigerators and stoves. Why do you think this would be an issue?

Since it serves no purpose then it’s fine. If it for powering an electric range then it would be required to be accessible by removing the bottom drawer on the range.

This one was partially visible at the back of the control panel for the stove.
Like I said just baked for the evening. Wasn’t sure, but that’s why I checked. Thanks Guys.

My house has one, Sean. It was for the former gas range that used to be there.

I just replaced my electric with gas, and lucky for me, I didn’t have to install a receptacle, it was already there.

The other side of the story is it’s a 1940’s house, and was a two pronged receptacle. So I clamped a wire to a cold water pipe in the basement and ran it up to ground it.

Works like a charm, and the wife appreciates the new gas range. She made brownies the first day. How’s that for “brownie points”? :|.)

Running a ground wire to the water line, unless in certain locations, is a code violation.

Show me in the NEC ?

“Running an individual ground conductor from the green grounding terminal of a grounded receptacle to the nearest water pipe or other grounded object. This “floating ground” presents various hazards. It is likely that this ground rod of convenience will have several ohms of ground resistance so that, in case of ground fault within a connected tool or appliance, the breaker will not trip — and exposed metal will remain energized.”

:shock: I hope you kidding. Im gullible :lol: