swimming pool light

Is true that a swimming pool light has to be on a GFI circuit breaker?? If so I need to referance the code.

Wilfred,

any lighting within 10 ft of the pool needs to be GFCI protected unless more than 12 ft above the pool (there should be no lights closer than 5 ft of the poolside unless 12 ft above)

Article 680 NEC

Regards

Gerry

BTW underwater pool lighting is a whole different ball of wax.

Yes it has to be on a GFCI.

Underwater Lighting

Listed for pool & GFCI-protected circuit unless low-voltage
…[680-20a1] {680.23A3}

Top of fixture min. 18in. below water level . . .[680-20a3] {680.23A5}
RNC to underwater lights req’s #8 insulated bonding conductor .
… .[680-20b1] {680.23B2}

Segregate GFCI-protected from non-GFCI . [680-5c] {680.23F3}
Junction box =>8in. above water, 4in. above deck
…[680-21a5] {680.24A2}

Junction box min. 4ft. from pool edge . . . . . . . . [680-21a5] {680.24A2}
Wet-niche fixture bonded and secured to shell with locking
device and requiring a tool for removal . . . . . . . . . .[680-20b3] {680.23B5}

http://www.codecheck.com/images/CCWe16.gif

If you’re referring to outside the pool…the answer is also…YES

Here’s the safety dimensions…

It does not have to be a GFCI breaker, it can be fed thru a GFCI receptacle or a blank face GFCI, and is commonly done this way at the junction to the wet niche.

Thanks everyone thats what I needed. The realtor says its not code and the existing is ok. I told her NO it is not and noted it in my report. Now they can do what ever they want to, but I told them They should have a licenced electrician look at the situation also in the report.

That’s really nice, helping out the client like that.:roll:

Ya, she’s helping the client to help her make her commission. Screw the safety issues.

The GFCI requirement on the pool light is fairly new.

Same subject…different topic. Hope you don’t mind :slight_smile:

Inspected a pool and the underwater pool light ppeared to be properly configured, the junction box clearances were good, the GFCI tripped when tested and turned off the light.

My question is about the light switch. I had a hard time getting the light to turn on when I turned on the paddle switch. I’ve never seen a pool light on a paddle switch before.

Whenever I toggled it I got a clicking noise under the switch and the light didn’t turn on. A moment later I looked and the light in the pool was on. This happened a couple of times.

The light went on (in an unconventional way) and it shuts off when the GFCI is tested. Any problems here? Any insight into what is happening is appreciated.

IMG_6195.JPG

Could it be a flourscent they do not come on instantly need a few seconds to fire up . Roy Cooke sr

It’s possible. I didn’t get that close to see the bulb. I’m more concerned about the clicking noise I heard.

It sounded almost like an electric starter on a range top…but not quite the same.

Looks like a Leviton Decora Rocker switch and GFCI receptacle.

I have them and the do click when rockered.

They do make a quiet rocker, but they are more expensive.

If it was any louder than a normal toggle switch there could be a possible short occuring, hence delayed lighting.

I would have removed the coverplate to investigate so I would be sure no charred wiring or arcing was present, but that’s me.

Thanks Barry,

I was considering taking off the plate but didn’t want to risk a shock due to the noise. Appreciate your input though.

I’ve deferred this to a licensed electrician since one will be out there anyway for the Zinsco panel and double taps in the distribution panel.

Thanks Barry,

I was considering taking off the plate but didn’t want to risk a shock due to the noise. Appreciate your input though.

I’ve deferred this to a licensed electrician since one will be out there anyway for the Zinsco panel and double taps in the distribution panel.

Hell, Jeff
Drive fast and take chances!
Noone gets out alive.

No really a wise choice if Sparky is on the way.

I’m just a curious sort and can’t resist a reason for further invesigation.

Maybe this is why I take so long.

It could be an X-10 switch, requires no wiring between the switch & the light, uses PLCs. They have a slight delay.

Do they normally make a repetative clicking noise when operated?

Brian, could you expand on this? I have a situation in my home where, if this worked wirelessly, it would save me some work.

Thanks.