Tinned copper wiring

Does anyone have any photos of what exactly “tinned copper” wiring looks like, or its general characteristics.

Any Help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Check out the image…older tinned copper has these traits

1.) Look at the tips of the wire as they enter into the buss bar…the ends are copper dots within the shiny portion.

2.) The tinned outter shell tends to remain shiny versus aluminum

3.) The outer jacket tends to be rubberish and frattered on the ends in most cases.

Hope these help

tinnedCU.jpg

Paul

Would you have any pictures of copper clad aluminum wiring?

Here is a picture of some tinned copper where I have scraped off the tin at the end. This was lead jacketed underground wire. From left to right: Lead jacket, rubber covering, zinc coated copper and cleaned copper.

zinc coated 006.jpg

David,

I don’t right off…but I will find one for you…but here are some interesting things about it you may find helpful:

Copper-clad aluminum wire has a thin copper outer skin and a core of aluminum. Therefore it looks like copper, except on close examination of a cut end. Markings on the cable jacket would include “Al” or “Aluminum”. There is no known history of connection overheating problems associated with copper-clad aluminum wire. No corrective actions are required for copper-clad aluminum wire.
MIS-IDENTIFICATION - PLATED COPPER WIRE as "Aluminum"

Plated copper wire is relatively common in older homes, and it looks like aluminum wire. It was commonly used with rubber-based insulation. Identification can be made by careful inspection of a cut end of the wire. In general, plated copper wire would not be present in nonmetallic sheathed cable (“Romex”), it is most generally found in metallic sheathed cable (“BX”). Cable of the “BX” type is not likely to contain aluminum wire.

Sorry I do not have a photo. I could not see the ends at buss bar, way too compact.
The wire that I saw looked like;
2.) The tinned outter shell tends to remain shiny versus aluminum & 3.) The outer jacket tends to be rubberish and frattered on the ends in most cases. It also was FMC.

Paul, Charles, did they used to run tinned copper or aluminium in FMC?

I appreciate your responses!
Thank You All!

Paul, the tinned copper is also present in all (or most) knob & tube and “early” un-rounded non-metalic sheathed cable----including the old “snake-skin” with/without ground.

thanks…yeah I was kinda speaking to modern day romex so to speak…I find alot of K & T in just plain copper…but then again by the time I find it I am rippin it out…:slight_smile: