TV for the Bath Tub?

I ran across this today and would like to get some feedback. First picture is the outlet and the second is a whirlpool tub below the outlet/shelf. I am thinking about writing it up as being unsafe and advising my client to have it removed. It is a GFCI outlet. Thoughts???

It is outside the tub line ?

No shower,do you have more of a broad shot to get a sense of perspective as the tub looks so small in that shot.

I do not have another shot but you are right. It is a small tub for the area. I might want to just advise my client to watch what he puts on the shelf and make sure it is secured.

I would advise on the potential hazard, especially if or when the GFCI fails to work. Let them know it may also fail the CO inspection and need to be removed.

Looking at it again it is within what would be considered the tub space.
I would call it out even if it is cool.No TV wall mount even means sitting it on the wet pedestal .

You can stand in a tub full of water and are able to touch the receptacle???

Hmmmm…

I am going to call it out as being unsafe to cover my butt and not “fry” his. Thanks for the responses!

There are 12v TV available for this application powered from a wall pack.

Can you run your hand under a sink faucet and touch a counter-top receptacle?

Can you stand on a wet patio floor and touch a receptacle?

As there is no shower present, I don’t see any particular hazard present if the outlet is GFCI protected. There is no code that prohibits that particular use.

What about this:

I searched the IRC (it’s not there) and neglected the NEC. Thanks for the correction.

Grey area as the receptacle is not installed directly over the tub.

No ,but it is in the tub zone.

Are you sure?

It is not in the tub footprint.

By tub zone I am referring to an area dedicated to the tub.
A bigger picture would have provided proper perspective.

My criteria is this;

Is it safe enough for my own family? Would I leave my child in this tub while I went to grab a clean towel? I really could care less what any code reference says, I would advise my client of the potential danger and recommend removal.

Just my opinion.

It is no different than having a receptacle over a sink counter next to the tub IMHO.

Since this is not a shower and the area is not subject to spray, I fail to see a safety real hazard.

IMHO of course.

It would be stupid to put any line powered device on that shelf as it is an accident waiting to happen even though the GFCI would prevent serious injury.

My statement:
In my opinion the outlet should be removed as a safety precaution. The close proximity to the tub could lead to a possible electrocution.

And if your client asks you:

Isn’t that what the GFCI is for?

The fact of the matter is that there are differences of opinion on this very issue an AHJs will not all agree.

It is fine to offer your opinion or mine but it is also important to understand that neither is not definitive.

Good luck.