Is this type of elbow OK for "buried" use?

Rigid conduit from meter to service disconnect.

Is this pull elbow OK for “buried” use?

If not, code cite of possible, please.

Thanks.

Elect-CondA.jpg

Elect-CondB.jpg

It looks like an aluminum “LB” as opposed to being a malleble iron type. I wouldn’t want either one underground. The aluminum one will corrode very quickly in this application. NEC 300.6 Raceways, cable trays…fittings… shall be of materials suitable for the environment in which they are installed.

Here’s the other side of the meter, BTW:

Elect-ServiceConduitC.jpg

ElectServiceConduitA.jpg

That is called an LB fitting. Buried is not the trouble. The fact that the cover is not accessible is trouble.

**NEC 314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures
***to Be Accessible. ***

*Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole **enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring contained **in them can be rendered accessible without removing **any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without **excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that **is to be used to establish the *finished grade.

I attended Oakton School in Evanston 40 yrs. ago. Is it still there?

Won’t it be accessible when the fitting completely corrodes away in the next couple of years?

. http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=QCKW.GuideInfo&ccnshorttitle=Conduit+Bodies+and+Covers+Classified+for+Use+with+Specified+Equipment&objid=1074114785&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073991693&sequence=1

Isn’t it prone to galvanic action with the soil which would be different than just being in a wet environment?

Mr. Shunk it looks like you will be an asset to our little community.

Welcome to the show.:smiley:

If it is okay to bury the LB, how can it ever be accessible?

If it was pointed downwards, cover facing up (for instance).

Even if burial has some deleterious effect on the LB (a topic on which there is some doubt), it is much easier to cite the more direct violation of the cover not being accessible. Either reason might make the installation “wrong”. One reason just has more clear text on the matter.

But we only do that when we are running a conduit to CHINA…:slight_smile:

As far as I can remember it is not OK to bury a JB wether it be an LB, LR or a 4 square. I seem to remember that they all must be accesible to qualified personel. I would look it up, but I dont want to.:stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm, me smells a Joe Tedescoe. lol

It’s cool Joe you do not need to post under a different name.:cool::cool:

I take it back Mark.

I was just informed that you are NOT Joe Tedescoe, but a close cousin. lol:p:p:p

However, I would like to check.

Here you go.:wink:

The primary of a transformer draws 4 amps at 7,200 volts.A reading at the secondary shows 110 amps at 240 volts. What is the efficiantcy of the transformer at this load?;):cool:

NO it is not.

91-2/3%. Let’s move on… I’m only here to help where I can. :cool:

Close. lol

Efficiency= output 110x 240 26,400
______ = ________ ______ = 91.67%
input 4 x7,200 28,800

Ok, OK I am just having fun.

Please carry on and again welcome to the show.:smiley:

Hey that did not show up like I typed it.:shock: lol

To maintain spacing, for math formulas and the like, you need to begin and end your text with {code} and {/code}, except replace the {} with ].