Upside down receptacle in Bedrooms

I inspected a house that was only two years old.
One three prong receptacle in every bedroom was upside down
and one plug test open ground…What would be the reason or
was is it an installation mistake ?

David
PHI

Yeah, when they’re installed upside down, all the electrons run to the bottom. Thus, the reason for the open ground.

Go ahead, Marc, tell him how to fill it up again once they’re turned right side up. It seems lately that you’re just telling part of the story.:wink:

C’mon, Mark–I think David is serious.

There is no “upside-down” to a receptacle (and the electrons don’t run out). The open ground was a mis-wire for a variety of reasons, but the installation was not a mistake–it’s common to see them “inverted”.

On my rehabs I have adjacent outlets in the same box installed in opposite direction - makes it easier to plug in multiple “wall-warts”.

If you have “one” in each room upside down it may designate the one that is switched. Some sparkies do it that way. And like Jay said----there isn’t a “right” and “wrong” way----though some might argue otherwise:)

Thanks everbody so far…

David
P-H-I

Sorry about that. Sometimes the entertainment value of a nonsense reply trumps the value of the real reply. :mrgreen:

Most of all upside down receptacles that I have found are on a switch that way you dont have search for it. Although most people dont know this.

Which way IS upside down?

<ducking for cover>

Which is why I always point it out to my Clients. They appreciated the knowledge, not to mention my obvious attention to the small details for them.

Very good Marc, that is funny :mrgreen:

Regards

Gerry

was David serious?

lol

Well, in case he was, there is no right or wrong direction to mount a receptacle. The reasoning for mounting them with the ground up is in case the plug were falling from its receptacle and something metal was dropped on the plug. Instead of the foreign object hitting a “hot” wire, it would instead make contact on the ground wire.

Russel,

Actually, on older 3-prong receptacles, there was a “top” indication.

Originally the ground plug was to be installed above the hot and neutral openings. The ides, back in the day of metallic covers, was that if the mounting screw fell out (with a 3-prong line cord plugged in), the plate would hit the ground, instead of shorting across the hot and neutral.

The designation disappeared years ago.

True.

Ground in the upper position always

Holy cow. This is a record. Joe and Joe have agreed on two things, on the same evening…:wink:

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Joe:D

I found that Seimens has a plug to prevent those Electrons from flowing out. Or I have heard that you can plug in a LAVA Lamp and that will keep those darn Electrons in to. :roll:

You idiots. All this talk of electrons…Every electrician should know that all electrical equipment runs on smoke, and that releasing the smoke from any piece of electrical equipment will immediately cause it to cease operation. I should know, I’ve released more smoke in my career than Mt. St. Helens.