Wired for Safety Video

"Wired for Safety" Video Increases Awareness of Home Electrical Hazards

Checking to make sure your home is “Wired for Safety” could prevent a costly and potentially lethal fire in your home, according to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI).

To help increase awareness of electrical safety, ESFI is offering the “Wired for Safety” electrical safety video and companion guide, developed by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), on its web site. “Electrical fires cause thousands of needless fires each year, resulting in deaths, injuries and more than $1.6 billion property damage,” noted Michael G. Clendenin, ESFI’s executive director. Communities and organizations can use this package to help consumers identify electrical hazards and prevent fires in the home, school and workplace.

“Increasing homeowner education and the use of electrical safety technology are two of the best ways to drive down the number of electrocutions and electrical fires that occur each year,” said Leonardo Alcivar, CPSC’s Director of Information and Public Affairs. “With help from the U.S. Fire Administration and ESFI, this video has been updated and is now a more effective tool in educating kids and parents about electrical safety.”

The eleven-minute video and companion guide cover causes and prevention of residential electrical fires. It includes steps consumers can take to replace old wiring, a major cause of deadly electrical fires.

“Wired for Safety” is available from both ESFI’s and CPSC’s web sites, www.electrical-safety.org, and www.cpsc.gov.

Founded in 1994 through a joint effort between Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL), the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA), the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) is North America’s only non-profit organization dedicated exclusively to promoting electrical safety in the home, school and workplace. ESFI is a 501©(3) organization funded by electrical manufacturers and distributors, independent testing laboratories, utilities, safety and consumer groups, and trade and labor associations. ESFI sponsors National Electrical Safety Month each May, and engages in public education campaigns and proactive media relations to help reduce property damage, personal injury and death due to electrical accidents. The Foundation does not engage in code or standard writing or lobbying and does not solicit individuals.

For additional electrical safety information, visit the Foundation’s web site at www.electrical-safety.org or call +1-703-841-3229.

Note:

I show this video to all of my students when I present an Electrical Safety Seminar for Home Inspectors and others who attend. http://www.cpsc.gov/vnr/asfroot/elecwirehq.asx

I will have an Electrical Safety Table set up at the NACHI Convention in Orlando, and will show this and other videos, and slides continuously and will have handout electrical safety materials available.