Wiring to garage building.

I’m looking for some verbiage for this electrical on a 1921 home in LA. The main house has a newer 100 amp panel with Romex, GFCI’s etc. The garage also has working (grounded) GFCI’s. It’s this connection that I’m concerned with getting right.

Given the age of this installation I would guess that it was code complaint when installed. The question then becomes has it reached the end of its useful life?

What is the clearance above grade?
Wire insulation condition?

What Robert said.

This set up of electrical wires to detached garages is very common on older homes in parts of Los Angeles and much of Orange County. And they are usually only about 8 feet above the walking surface.

So while it met code at time of install, I suggest they have a qualified electrician re-route the wires, either via underground method (which is a common solution on older homes that had been modified), or running them wires up higher.

Personally, I think it’s dangerous as is, but as I said, thousands upon thousands of homes were built this way throughout the region, so all one can do is inform, advice and let the client make their own decision.

IF THEY WERE TO THE HOUSE…and not the GARAGE…:wink:

Greetings…The problem with that theory is that in many cases (if not 99%) the Electrician is not the one that will run those wires. If they are service laterals then the POCO would need to be consulted and if they are Service Drop Conductors then the POCO again would need to be consulted.

Both of which conditions the electrical contractor has no control of and considering they typically have no overcurrent protection on those conductors in question (while they do have overload protection) they are still something that can’t be disconnected and re-routed without the POCO coordination.

So while I am all for correcting low hanging conductors it is important to know that they are (eg: Service Drop Conductors, Service Lateral Conductors, Service Conductors Overhead or Underground and so on in order to determine who is the authority to take corrective actions for your potential client.

Just some advice to help point your client in the right direction.

UPDATE - IGNORE MY RANT…<—IDIOT!

Paul A. I got the impression that this was an older overhead feeder to the detached garage being fed from the house panel.

Correct.

The service drop is at the house. The panel is the house.

The wires in question are going from the house to the detached garage.

The utility would not be involved because this all wiring that occurs after the meter and after the panel. And as such, over current protection is at the panel.

Thanks Ian. That would make those conductors fall under the NEC rules and not the power company rules like Paul thought.

Thank you for all the helpful comments. Mike

DOAH…aw H*ll…my BAD…well just use my info as a reference for the next post asking about clearance on the conductors I referenced…lol…Dang Glasses Prescription…

YEPPERS…missed the Garage Part…lol:oops: