The AC Equipment is blocking the operation of the switch

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2188&d=1136253319

Hey, Joe.

Your link requires a user name and password.

Maybe you can create a NACHI user name and password specifically for NACHI members just to read. Then if they want to post, they have to register on their own.

Thanks Russell:

Here’s the picture instead. I was not aware that the link called for membership. I could develop a NACHI user name and password as you suggest. Any suggestions?

So tell me Joe, what are the clearance requirements for the AC switch.

I see this all the time where the AC unit sits directly in front of the disconnect with about 12 inches between the unit and the disconnect. It operates but is hard to get to when working on the wires.

DSC02441.JPG

Erby,
Is that a gas meter sitting next to that condensing unit? If it is I would stay away from that house. Maryland law says a gas meter has to be aleast 10ft from any electrical device that makes a spark. If the meter starts leaking and the a/c starts up it could blow up.

Boom!

Erby:

If enforced by the AHJ the 3 ft in front, and 30 inches wide rules from industry standards would often be applied.

Many AHJ’s are not concerned with this condition. I am aware of many who are.

The picture you posted shows a reasonable access to the switch, but the argument is that it is not readily accessible according to industry standards.

In my opinion, if you found it this way you could suggest only that the record of permits for the AC and wiring be reviewed, that is if they were taken out.

In Kentucky, an inspector I knew once who’s name was Bobby Paul would not allow that, but maybe his Son Paulie Bob would let it go? :mrgreen:

The issues on the Gas Meter are also with 3 ft. or more, or local restrictions in industry standards and many believe that the electrical equipment can present an arc to cause ignition.

PS: Can you tell me what Kentucky rules cover the HI Instructor Certification? I have an Electrical Inspector Certificate somewhere from the Kentucky State Fire Marshall.

HI Instructor Certification rules are still being developed by the Kentucky Home Inspector Board.

Stay on top of it here, or

e-mail Van Cook, the
Executive Director of the Kentucky Housing, Building and Construction Department
and ask him what’s going on with it.