AC Question

Since someone mentioned that this thread was dead, I thought I would post a question. What is wrong with this picture?Slide14.JPG

The filter is not installed…bwhahahaha!!:slight_smile:

I see two possibilities but will hold my answer until Saturday and give someone else the chance to answer.

My guess is the looped lines may have something to do with at least one of the two?

:smiley: :smiley: oil trap.:smiley: :smiley:

excess length of the line set have anything to do with it?

Uno,
The Ref.L/S may be left coiled like that, because the distance between the Evap. Coil and the outdoor Condenser is too close. Equip. Manuf. requires min. lenghth between equipment (usually 20-25’).
Note - the coiled Ref.L/S should be hung Horizontally to avoid oil trap.

Dos,
What else do you think ?? (Mastic, Insulation, filter, Hum. By-pass)

Sometimes the ref. lines are precharged (Approx 25 ft.) from the maufacturer and maybe the installer didn’t know what to do with the excess? But I really don’t know the answer.

I was shooting for the extra line set left in the vertical position.
Greg and Bruce did recognize that the oil may be trapped in the bottom of the loops when the unit is not operating. This increases the chance of the oil getting to the compressor. I suggest that the extra coils be left horizontal instead of vertical.

Charley, I am curious on what else you saw in the photo.
I have a bunch more photos if you guys are interested.

[quote=cbellefontaine]
I was shooting for the extra line set left in the vertical position.
Greg and Bruce did recognize that the oil may be trapped in the bottom of the loops when the unit is not operating. This increases the chance of the oil getting to the compressor. I suggest that the extra coils be left horizontal instead of vertical.

Charles: I know this is not Saturday but the question has already been answered.

Oil trap a definite concern I would rate this as a poor install. Never did like pre-charged line sets to begin with hard to make the install professional in appearance and to the client whom knows very little to nothing about HVAC appearance is everything. My two concerns were the oil trap and the loops in general.

I do not agree with two of your statements you stated the oil may be trapped when the unit is not in operation my take is that the oil is trapped all of the time in operation or shut down. If you do not have proper suction velocity to carry the oil back to the compressor it remains trapped.
That is why we install P-traps in the suction line on the outlet side of the evaporator when the condensing unit set above the A-coil such as on the roof so as to create the velocity to return the oil back to the compressor and not be trapped within the A-coil and reduce the cooling capacity of the coil. Enough Enough.

Your second statement was that it increases the chance of the oil getting back to the compressor surely you meant decreases the chance.

Thanks Charley for keeping me on my toes. Nice post.

[quote=cbellefontaine]

I have a bunch more photos if you guys are interested

Post all of the pic you have good training for HI’S Try to use the pic that could be visibly observed without invasive procedures.

We have some excellent HVAC guys hangout on this board. Robert O’Connor, David Anderson, Greg Veal they can all jump on your Pic’s As for my self I just try to stir the pot and keep the thinking moving forward.