Air Handler

Based on the data plate on the condenser the age of the A/C system is 10 years, and is a 2-1/2 ton unit. The home was built in 2005 so this indicates it is the original system that was installed by the builder.
The system was operated for several minutes, the temperature recorded at the return registered 75 degrees, and 60 degrees at the vent. This relates to a temperature differential of 15 degrees. This indicates the system is cooling adequately. The temperature outside at the time of inspection was 87 degrees so the heater was not operated. The air handler coils had small amounts of dirt/debris - recommend cleaning. We recommend replacing the air filter every month to prevent further build-up at the coils. The condensation drain was functioning properly and there was no indication of leaks around the condensation pan or underneath the air handler.

Is there a question?

Ooooh, I have one, why didn’t you turn on the furnace?

Was it a heat pump system? If so, you are not supposed to operate the heating portion of it when the temperature is above 65 degrees. Maybe that is why it was not operated. That A-coil has seen better days.

What does the temperature, exterior ambient or interior, and the presence of a heat pump have to do with testing the heating component of a system?

From a carrier heat pump operating manual.

• Do not operate your unit in heating mode when outdoor
temperatures are above 66°F unless you set your thermostat
to emergency heat mode.

From a Bryant heat pump operating manual.

Do Not Operate Above 66_F (19_C) on Heating Mode
Your outdoor unit is not designed to operate on heating mode
when outdoor temperatures are higher than 66_ (19_C). You can
safely operate the system above 66_ (19_C) on emergency or
auxiliary heat.

If it was a heat pump I would have at least tested the emergency heat strips but I was always taught not to operate a heat pump in the heating mode when the temperature exceeds 65 degrees. I was a degree off.

Heat strips = heating component, no?

Yes, I would have at least tested the emergency heating strips. I follow those rules because its damned hot down here in the south in the summertime. Did Richard talk about this, I cant remember? The only reason I know about this is because when I was in high school, I spent the summer one year working as a helper for an HVAC contractor and was reamed because while servicing a unit I turned on the heating system of a heat pump in the middle of summer.

Yep, gotta test what you can. Regardless of ambient air temp, I test the heater or emergency heat long enough to get temperature differential pics.