Asbestos chimney?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever come across a chimney like the one in the photos. A real estate agent I work with who will be listing this house asked me if I had ever seen a chimney like this as it seemed unusual to him. His concern (and the sellers) is that it might be of an asbestos material. I am not 100% certain exactly what type of material the clay chimney inside is wrapped with but appears to be of some sort of cement or masonry product. The home was built in the 1950’s and there are some materials I saw that I was pretty certain were an ACM and I know that some cement mixes back then may have some asbestos.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IMG_6070.JPG

I’ve not seen a chimney like this.

However, to the concerns. This could be ACM, but even if it is, it appears in really good shape, and isn’t friable.

I’d say leave it alone. I’m pretty sure that’s what the reccomendation would be if it was known to be ACM for sure.

Of course they could have someone test some of it, and have it removed/replaced if it was. But that seems like overkill to me. JMHO.

Hi to all,

That vent appears to be Transite which is an asbestos containing material, frankly it should have been removed rather than cut into years ago.

Regards

Gerry

Is that chimney thingy single walled???

It looks like transite (ACM) pipe. I’ve seen it used in the construction of a chimney once in my 15 years of asbestos abatement. It may have Johns-Manville (JM) markings on it. Those metal bands used to hold the sections together probably aren’t sealed properly either. That flat piece in the pic on the far right also looks like ACM. I would call it out for further evaluation by an environmental geek.

Thanks guys for your insight and input, all of which makes a lot of sense. I’m happy to know I was on the right track with my assessment and recommendation.

Brian, the interior portion of the chimney is a single wall clay chimney which is wrapped in what is suspected by Gerry and Linas as a product known as Transite.

Have a great weekend!
John

Old transite should be replaced as it can be damaged over time by moisture.

Single wall heat vents, ie a heat vent with no anular space, need 6" of clearance to combustibles.

They need a new vent.