Basement Oil Tank.

Had a call from someone who is concerned about an old oil tank in a basement of a home they are considering making an offer on. From what I was told, the oil tank is no longer being used. Is located in the basement and appears to be in “pretty good shape”.

They were told by the step dad that it could be a potential explosion and that it would cost about $6000 to remove. :roll:

I freely admitted that I don’t have a lot of experience with these things, but said I would do some research. So…

What would be your concerns about such a tank, and what would be a reasonable way and cost to dismantle and remove the tank if that is what they wanted to do. (She told me she didn’t think there was anyway they could remove it whole.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Hi Mark,

Heating oil will not explode unless either under pressure or atomized, the cost of removing a tank from a basement should be a lot less than $6k.

If it is abandoned it should be pumped out and removed, typically under $1,000. (at $4 a gallon less if its full!! :wink: )

BTW I have never seen an oil tank that could not be removed, if that were the case they never would have got it into the basement.

Regards

Gerry

$600 - $1200 to remove the tank. Fairly routine in this market area…

Or find someone that wants to convert it into a barbecue pit, and they might take it for free. :slight_smile: No kidding.

What type of company would be called to do the removal? Could any contractor do that, or what?

Hi Mark, I’d contact any heating oil distributor or oil boiler repair company.

Regards

Gerry

Call some of these distributors, they may know someone. The first one serves my parents home, across the river from you.

Thomas Oil Co Inc](http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view=text&hl=en&q=heating+oil+delivery&near=Godfrey,+IL&ie=UTF8&latlng=38857183,-90100442,2039807096180748609&ei=SwCASOfCF4eujgGM9qSDDQ&cd=11)

http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Oils_Fuel_(wholesale)/St._Louis_MO.html

looks I was searching while you were typing Gerry. :wink:

Thanks again everyone for your help. Here’s a copy of the e-mail I just sent.