Buried Suction/liquid lines?

What problems will these buried lines cause?

Thanks,
Reese

AClines.jpg

AClines.jpg

AClines.jpg

Are they actually buried, or just covered with a thick layer of fallen pine needles?

I pulled the loose pine straw back (which was placed there, no pine trees in the area) and dug a little with my hands to see if I could get a look at the insulation. But only removed about an inch of loose dirt/decomposed mulch before I hit solid soil. I spread the pinestraw back over before I took the picture. I would guess that it was buried maybe 3-4 inches at it’s deepest spot. (just a guess)

Does not appear to have enough trap built in to cause any significant oil return problems.

Would you write anything about possible damage to the insulation? Is there any effect of the soils extra insulation of the lines? What about deterioration of lines from minerals in the soil and soil moisture? Would you write this up?

Thanks guys,
Reese

Nope would not write it up we bury copper in the ground on a regular basis (Water lines) the ground is a pretty good insulator to begin with. Too picky for me.

What about not being able to inspect the buried portion of the lines for leaks and deteriorated insulation?

That is such a small section of line, there is no need to worry about it. As for deterioration of insulation, the situation is no worse than the effects of weather. And if there is no oily residue in the soil, there is no leak.

As a Hi I don’t inspect for leaks in freon lines the unit either works as intended or not. As for the insulation the soil is probally a better insulator than the foam. I see to many suction lines with the insulation totally missing dogs like to chew it off. I don’t even write that up consider it normal wear. Some inspectors may perfer to write things like that up I don’t to me that is just window dressing for reports fluffing the reports. I go for the good stuff:)
</IMG>

The purpose of the insulation on a refrigerant line set is not to thermally insulate the pipe for efficiency purposes, it is to prevent contact with the outdoor air which has a high concentration of moisture in it. The suction line operates at 40°F if the refrigeration pressure is 70 PSI. This causes a substantial amount of condensation and if it occurs inside the house or inside a wall or ceiling, guess what happens?

There are no issues that I know of with burying a refrigeration line set.

Good morning David how the Hell are you.

I also agree with your statement but I also like that suction temp to be as cold coming back as possible as you know that is what cools the compressor windings and the cooler it operates the longer it last just my thoughts.

Yup, I call out and report on sub-cooling temps at the compressor during my HAVC Inspections.

You may have sufficient refrigerant to cool the house, but the compressor will fail from thermal.

An old fart, partner of mine taught me how to charge refrigerant with his hand (forget all those tools, he would say!) when I first got started. Lesson learned; if there is insufficient capacity of the refrigerant to draw heat from your hand, there is nothing left for the compressor.

I’m fine! I see your in there kicking a$$ with the rest of us! :slight_smile:

Was thinking of going fishing this morning! No wind! Bad weekend coming up and don’t want to fight the crowd! Did my quota for the week and have them stacked up for next week! I think I’ll slip out of here!

This is very true can tell more with my hands than most of the younger guys with two sets of gages:) Old fart you know

Don’t have time for fishing wished I did use to chase the strippers heavy in the old days. Got two big inspects and a re-inspect today gotta go its that time Don’t catch them all save some for seed:D
</IMG></IMG>

Amen to the hand check! And I thought I was alone on this! When you feel that suction line begin to draw heat from your hand, cut it off! In a few seconds, voila! You have a perfectly charged unit. Considering the unit is clean, the head and suction pressures should be right on given the ambient temp.

No one has mentioned the conductor from the thermostat.
I would bet it is not rated for direct burial.
Deterioration of the sheathing could allow a direct to ground short if moisture is present and produce $700.00 electric bills.
I would list it as a maintenance issue, clean away and check the condition.
Remove the conductor from the ground.

My 2cp

Rick