Cold air return

Lets see if I can write this so it makes sense. The air return ductwork in a house I looked at yesterday ran along the center beam went past the furnace connected with ductwork above it took a 45 degree to left went behind the furnace and connected to duct work below it coming back to furnace for the air return. My client said that wouldn’t work because cold air won’t go up so it wouldn’t come back to furnace. Any feedback on that would be great! Can return air go up then back down on it’s return?
thanks, Mark T

The unit does have a blower fan and filter doesn’t it?

. . . :mrgreen:

Yes, 2003 Bryant

It will draw return air anywhere it is ducted to…up, down, side to side, twice over in fact because the blower is sucking it through. If it’s blowing the hot air out on the supply side it has to draw air in from the return side. To show your (not too smart) client…hold a tissue in front of the return air grill and it should draw it to it.

If you guys would quit using the term cold air return might be easier to understand there is nothing cold about a return it usually is the same temp as the structure;-):wink:

Come on Charlie, it’s like “hot water heater”. :wink:

Wrong, but everyone knows what you are talking about:shock:

Well apparently not everyone his client did not

Or the “main electrical sub-panel” :roll:

Proper terminology eliminates a lot of confusion.

Thanks Darrell, I love using visual aids to demonstrate! :slight_smile:

Hose pipe,
Tuna fish,
Hamburger meat. :mrgreen:

Just thought I might bring it to your attention Charlie…no where in the first 5 or 6 posts was the phrase COLD AIR RETURN used in the first place:shock:;):wink: Just the Title.

Besides, when explaining to clients the air is usually much cooler than the other side of the duct work…thus cold air return. it helps the average home-owner distinguish the difference. I don’t think we need to be anal about it.

So what you you now, Mike? The Department of Redunduncy Department? :wink:

Everyone knows that hot water does not need heating.

Wisconsin. Go figure. :mrgreen:

My daddy was a plumber and made sure I understood just that. :wink: