Copper tubing

This is a high efficiency furnace. The home has an air conditioner. Question is, should this copper tube be plugged? It has some conditioned air coming out of it. Could someone tell me what its purpose is?

Thanks,

Tech 9 Home Inspections

That is a messy leak getting ready to happen someone had no clue what they were doing.
The primary drain has been reduced in size should have stayed 3/4 inch. The copper tube to the right is a poor excuse for a secondary drain, not the proper diameter and not routed to a visible location. Appears to be non-professional installation

You mean, bubble gum is not an acceptable sealant? :shock:

The condensate drain line is working properly, so is the pump. I was there when it filled up and the pump started. My original question was should/could this 2nd copper line be plugged? There is no condensate coming from it, and there is no evidence of it ever leaking from this tube. Conditioned air is coming out of it. So is it safe to assume that it can be capped?

Thanks.

Why would you cap it ?
Charlie says it is a drain line and he certainly seems to know HVAC.
A secondary drain line is usually higher than the primary and only gets used if the primary plugs up so basically it needs to be routed.

Lets start this over the primary drain line has been reduced it should not be as it will be prone to blockage from cold water slime as they all do. The secondary drain is the short copper stub out and no it is not suppose to be blocked or capped off, it should be routed to an appropriate drain in case the primary becomes blocked. The pic indicates the secondary drain will make a mess when the primary becomes blocked.:shock::shock:

Hi Jarrod
I guess it depends where you are.
In Ontario, the high level (secondary) drain is typically capped. If the primary drain becomes blocked you know it because of the water all over the furnace room floor.
Only in Canada eh.

IMG_1266.jpg

Thanks for your replies.