Excessive moisture in exhaust pipe.

I’ve seen exhaust pipes like this (in the winter) with ice on the exterior. I believe this is a home-made job to keep the moisture from getting that far.
Does any one have any ideas of what causes this?

Thank you.

Two thoughts one being you live up there with Santa Clause it appears some one has excessive moisture traveling back down the exhaust flue either from condensate in the winter or if there is no 180 degree fitting on the exterior side rainwater could be entering the pipe in any event someone is draining the system before it gets inside the furnace cabinet for what reason I know not

I’d like to know where that drain tube “drains to”. Seems to me it is high risk for CO being reintroduced into the home.

The tube has a trap

I’d bet you ‘dollars to doughnuts’ come wintertime in Wisconsin, that trap don’t perform as well as it should, and it goes dry. Then what? Hope there’s a CO detector nearby to wherever it terminates.

JMHO, and I’m entitled to it! :wink:

For draining flue gas condensation on a HE unit. Looks site made, which might be OK depending on mfr instructions. The loop is intentional (as Charlie indicates it is a trap). Pay attention to where it drains as the water will be corrosive due to combustion byproducts.

I usually see them tapped off of a concentric vent.

I will raise you two dollars against a dog terd and I will hold the stakes in my mouth that the furnace is a high efficiency producing water in the winter with the loop sealed;-);-):smiley:

Ewww, GROSS !!! :shock:

So basically you are endorsing this, and have no concerns what-so-ever?

Just trying to understand and learn (I ain’t too old yet). :wink:

No endorsement without seeing the big pic need to know where it is discharging and whether the exterior line has a 180 degree fitting installed.

As for a health concern IMHO no CO would get past the loop trap but yes it is a Piss poor way of getting from point A to Point B if properly installed the flue pipe is designed to slant back toward the factory drain hoses within the furnace cabinet and with a 180 degree exterior fitting there should be no rain water to deal with

That tube connects with the normal condensate tube coming off of the furnace.

And where does the normal condensate line from the furnace discharge to.

My guess is the Wye fitting and the hose is used to compensate for rain water because the contractor did not choose to use a 180 degree fitting on the exterior. Hot flue gases rise I don’t see them making a 90 degree turn into the hose connection even if the hose trap was dry