Friday night game time

Ok here goes guys time for games again Larson I got your # Looks can be decieving.

What is the techanical name of the two devices in the freon line to the A-coil on this central system downflow furnace first pic and what am I doing with the screwdriver in the second pic.

Wrong thread but I am going to throw this pic in of the shower stall what is the crazy looking device in the corner with the cork plug in its hole.

I know what the device is in the first pic but the name slips my mind. The device in the second pic is a foot rest for shaving your legs and the cork is to fill it up in the bath so it doesn’t float away.

Lets be specific here I don’t shave my legs. Yours covers everyone;-) but you were right it stated on the top lady shaving foot rest:D BTW it was sealed to the corner and could not float away.

I am still waiting for the correct answer to the first two pics. Will be taking the wife to Texas Road House for Steak Hope I have the answer by the time I return. Come on guys get it on its Friday

It’s a solenoid and you are checking the operation of it by holding the the metallic screwdriver near it to sense the magnetic field. What it’s for…I don’t know.

3 hours no replies

thermostatic expansion valve

unless you’re talking about the condensate drain line or the suction line…I’m sure you’ll tell me different…:wink:

http://www.contractingbusiness.com/Content/Site025/Articles/08_01_2006/24938SCTEVs0200_00000014686.jpg

I don’t think he wanted me to play Barry. :wink:

P.S. My dad taught me how to check a solenoid with a screwdriver 40 years ago. :slight_smile:

i’ve got your back and have sent the wolfpack to destroy his 'puter

Love the ape Barry… LOL!

I think he had the starring role on this short skit.

What a disgusting shower. Someone needs to learn how to use bleach.

One of my all time favorites:D

Nope no cigar Look again The wolf pack never made it my pack of dogs got-um

That I was, is as mister Larson described when he was two years old his dad taught him about that:D That is the easy way since most solenoids have the wires enclosed it is easier to use a screwdriver to see if it is engerized. (Magnetic Field)

Sure Mikie L you can play what is that other device but stay off of Google;-)

After 10:00 PM and 91 lookers and only 1/2 right answer we seriously need to send some HI’s to Bolder for their two day HVAC course or was that Fla:D

Isn’t that the distributor? Lessens vapor seperation or something like that?

Jeff

I may not be as young as you think;-)

Give them a clue Charlie and tell them under what conditions this type of valve system is useful.:wink:

As in the words of the infamous Roy D. Mercer Just how old are you:D

Ok a little clue this valve is not normally used on the type of system I found it on. Most commonly used on much smaller system such as 110-volt window units I would think of it as a small appliance control device.

I was very suprised to find it in use on this central system as it was a 3 ton Bryant condensing unit the valve proper was a Carrier valve been some mix and matching going on with this unit.

Well it appears that no one wants to engage in dialaog or knows everything there is to know about HVAC so I will post the little I know.

The first pic of course is a liquid line solenoid valve which is engerized open when the thermostat calls for cooling thus allowing freon to flow into the evaporator coil raising the pressure on the suction line which closes a low pressure switch within the outside condensing unit allowing the contactor for the compressor to engerize starting the compressor.

In the reverse mode when the thermostat satisifys the solenoid valve denergizes and closes the flow of freon to the A-coil the compressor continues to operate until the low pressure switch opens which in turn denergizes the contactor for the compressor and ends the cooling cycle.

This set up is called a pump down system.

The second pic is not a TXV valve no thermal bulb it is a AXV automatic expansion valve operates on pressure between the high side and the low side of the system. Very uncommon to find one of these AXV’s on a residential 3 ton system not to say that it is wrong but just uncommon.

Charley…I understand your explanation of the pump down system. My question is…why? What makes that better than just immediately turning the compressor off when the t’stat satisfies?

Glad you asked WHY that was going to be as Paul Harvey would say the rest of the story.

The biggest reason is to prevent the compressor from ever having to start against a high head pressure. When reading your operating manual for a system the MFG will recommend allowing the unit to remain off for at least two minutes before restarting the unit which allows the pressure within the system to equalize. On a pump down system one does not have to wait, the head pressure is always lowered by the time the unit shuts off. It allows over all extended life expectancy of the compressor it does not have to work as hard on start up. The higher the head pressure the higher the amp draw on start up. The higher the amp draw the higher the heat produced Heat is what basically kills all compressors.

Now I don’t have to tell the rest of the story. Mike that was a good question